Game test system?

Started by
2 comments, last by wizBang 22 years, 5 months ago
If I came up with an idea for, say, a military strategy game that involved a variety of units, interface screens and play modes, are there any existing "systems" out there (meaning methods, programs, books, etc.) that offer a good way to test out the idea for fun, unit balance, satisfaction of play style, etc.? Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks! (I know I could get down and dirty and even simulate the game somehow on paper just to get a feel for it, but I''m hoping some of you can give me some ideas of what else could give me some reliable feedback without having to program my brains out to find out it isn''t a great idea!) - wizBang
Advertisement
There is a highly advanced and incredibly effective way of prototyping your game concept with relatively little expenditure and effort. It is generally referred to by professional game designers as "Making lots of little paper counters and testing the game out on your carpet"

Its as good a way as any as checking your basic game rules and balance, and it doesnt require any real effort or skill, although younger game designers may need adult supervision while cutting out their units
As a shameless self plug, if you want something real-time strategy oriented, StrifeEdit, the editor in Strifeshadow, can do a lot of things, though not everything. It is only applicable to multiplayer stuff though, but I imagine its useful for prototyping if you want to do an RTS type thing...

Check out the demo.. it comes out monday (www.ethermoon.com)

Zileas
As a shameless self plug, if you want something real-time strategy oriented, StrifeEdit, the editor in Strifeshadow, can do a lot of things, though not everything. It is only applicable to multiplayer stuff though, but I imagine its useful for prototyping if you want to do an RTS type thing...

Check out the demo.. it comes out monday (www.ethermoon.com)

Zileas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement