• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HassaanAtif

Is Unity 3d right for a horror game?

14 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, So I've been using unity for a couple months and getting familiar with it . And now i wanna create a horror game something like Silent Hill.

Hey guys sorry i accidentally pressed enter . So i wanted to ask is Unity 3d right for a horror game. And also please suggest me a good 3d modelling tool and tool for creating audio for my game. 

If you edit your post, and "Use Full Editor", you should be able to change the title (though I've already improved it). While I cannot talk about modelling or audio tools, I'm not aware of any reason why Unity would not be suitable for making horror games. You might get an idea of what people have already done by [url="https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=horror+games+unity"]Googling[/url] (though what people have done is not always indicative of the possibilities).

I mean, if you could give more specific details about why you think it might not be suitable, what the requirements for YOUR horror game exactly are (its a pretty broad category going from FPSes to Text adventures), people could give you more specific answers to you questions.

Generally, the answer is yes - Unity can do pretty much everything you want it to - though depending on your specific requirements there might be caveats to this answer. So better get more specific.

[...]

Woah dude!! thank you very much!! You've completely answered my question!! Actually most of the people were saying that its not suitable for a horror game. So i was getting confused. Anyways thanks again!! 

Hi,

Hey guys sorry i accidentally pressed enter . So i wanted to ask is Unity 3d right for a horror game. Unity3D is good for most game genre. "Right" connotates perfection, but you will not find a perfect game engine.  Can Unity3D be an excellent fit for game developing a horror game?  It sure can and that depends on your work ethic.

And also please suggest me a good 3d modelling tool and tool for creating audio for my game.  Unity3D developers have created the game engine to be able to work with most 3D modeling programs well in a workflow pipeline that you make for your development processes.  That's the long way of saying not to be concerned.  The 3D software typically export models in all the standard model file formats plus a few non-standard proprietary ones. Unity 3D, like most game engines, does accept some import from most 3D modelers, so if you choose a popular or common 3D modeler then there will be little or no trouble with compatibility.

Blender is a good match for Unity3D and its no cost.

Woah dude!! thank you very much!! You've completely answered my question!! Actually most of the people were saying that its not suitable for a horror game. So i was getting confused. Anyways thanks again!! 

Okay, did this people give you a reason WHY they think its not suitable? I know a lot of people have a strong opinion about engines without even trying them out. Most make their opinion about it because they saw game Y using engine X and think its the shizzle / shite, and come to the conclusion if the game is good / bad, the engine must be good / bad.

Just because the Crytek games look awesome does not mean their engine is awesome... graphics is 90% the quality of models, textures and shaders, and only about 10% the quality of the engines tech (the performance of most of the early Crytek games is actually horrible. Has to do with lots of highend effects for the time, but most probably also the engine that was not properly optimized. But this now is of course again me jumping to conclusions, just like the Unity naysayers were).

Just because there is no good horror game made with Unity on the market (and I have a hard time beliebving that) does not mean the engine is not suitable for it!

So rather than listen to vague, unfounded opinions, research it yourself. You can download the engine for free, and give it a try. Most probably it will just work fine for you, as soon as you start to understand how to build your game with it.

Thank you very much dude. I really appreciate your answer.  Now i understand everything. And now i will stick with unity and will give a shot to blender to create 3d models!! . And use Audacity city to create sounds and i will use Adobe Photoshop for creating 3d textures! And one last thing that i wanna ask and that is how can i create horror, creepy music. Which software should i use? 
Thanks in advance!! biggrin.png smile.png

I would personally use Unity3d for an horror game, you can add shadows, and change the scene to your liking. 

You can record your own music on garageband to make it more realistic. You can generate AI on unity3d

which kind of makes it neat in terms of making lots of zombies follow you.

There are already horror games out there made with Unity, so it's certainly 'right' for a horror game.

That, however, depends a lot on the mechanics of said horror game, and less on its theme.

Creepiness depends on design instead of game engine. And either that designer possesses the skills to make a game creepy or doesn't. The technology is just a vehicle to help the designer reach his goal.

I once made a game people said was creepy in Construct, a 2D game engine.

Horror games are all about the design and art. The engine has little to do with making a game "horror." You need to have good artwork, and good level design to induce those types of feelings. The only time the engine would come into play is if it limited you in one of those aspects.