• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tispe

DX12 DX12 - Documentation / Tutorials?

This topic is 1383 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Haven't heard of any releases for DX12 yet, hints are for an early access preview later this year. You can apply for the early access from a link down the page here. That same page gives a good overview of what is changing - I think the main thing is lower level of hardware abstraction. It looks like it builds upon the approach used in DX11 (e.g. still supports command lists and so on), so I think you will be safe to start with DX 11.1 or 11.2

Edited by spazzarama

Closest thing to documentation right now: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/3-564

(Rant: And knowing Microsoft, probably that's the only "documentation" we will ever have for a long time. With DX 10 & 11 I got the feeling they either didn't finish the documentation, or they did finish it but didn't provide it for free. I hear some guy at Futuremark (3DMark) already had access to the API to write a DX12 demo - I fear they, like other companies are probably already working directly with MS to figure out stuff, and we average Joes will again be left in the dark.)

Edited by tonemgub

If you're a professional developer you can apply for their early access program, which has documentation/samples/SDK available. If not...then you'll unfortunately have to wait until the public release.

what kind of documentation are you searching for?

Sorry, should've been more specific. I'm referring to documentation on the binary format to allow you to produce/consume compiled shaders like you can with SM1-3 without having to pass through Microsoft DLLs or HLSL. Consider projects like MojoShader that could make use of this functionality to decompile SM4/5 code to GLSL when porting software or a possible Linux D3D11 driver that would need to be able to compile compiled SM4/5 code into Gallium IR and eventually GPU machine code.

There's also no way with SM4/5 to write assembly and compile it which is a pain for various tools that don't work to work through HLSL or the HLSL compiler.

So DirectX12 is it going to be like DX10. where thery get you started then they just drop it in no time and replace it with 11 wtf. Is it Is it going to be like that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!