Sign in to follow this  

Python Game Engine

This topic is 1177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking to play around with a 3d game engine.  While not a requirement, I am most familiar with Python and would love to try out a game engine  that supports it.  I am new to 3d games.  (I have programmed some 2d games in the past.)  I have assembled a list of game engines that interest me and was hoping to get your opinion on which are best in terms of features, ease of use, and performance.  I am aware that Python is slow.  I am not expecting amazing performance.  I just want to play around with a 3d game engine and am most familiar with Python.

Game Engines That Caught My Eye:

• Panda3D
  • Python-Ogre
  • Soya3D (Supports Python3, Soya3 was just released.)
  • PyOpenGL + PyGame (I know it's a library, not a game engine, but I thought it should be put on this list.)
  • PySDL2 (Also a library.  I am not convinced it would be able to run 3d well.)
Edited by OutcastsMoon

Hi

You look at Blender also a Python game engine (i am not a fan of it but you can try that)

HyperV

I am aware that Blender can be used as a game engine.  I just don't think it would be able to compare to a program that was built as a game engine first.

Out of your list my first inclination would be to suggest Panda3d... but what specific features do you need?  It's hard to make a specific recommendation if we don't know what features you might need and what sort of game you might be trying to make.

This topic is 1177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.