Let's develop a 2d game to learn some programming (Java)

Started by
2 comments, last by rip-off 9 years, 7 months ago

Some background:

So, I've been learning Java over the last year, mostly on my own, but I am going to school for programming and analysis. Most of my learning has been in my own time, and I am now about to take Java 2 at my college. Though, I've been learning without direction, it feels.
I have friends in just about every type of talent you can think of, except programming. And I think that is a huge downfall for me. I don't have people to talk to and get ideas through out this experience, and submitting to stack-overflow only goes so far.
I've made a few programs so far. Nothing big or fancy (my own version of pong, a terraria server wrapper, I'm in the middle of making my biggest game project at the moment) but I'm not sure if anything I'm doing is being done the "right" way. (I know, a super relative term)

I'd like to meet up regularly with a couple people (online through skype/mumble or some kind of messenger) that are fairly new (or even experienced if you feel like teaching some new people) to programming, or game development in general so we can figure this out together. I'd like to be a part of a team that wants to accomplish a similar goal, and I'd like to have people that can throw in their own unique input no matter if you think it's "dumb" or not. Again, I'm not experienced, and this is solely for learning and meeting new people with similar interests, with potential to work on even bigger and better projects in the future.

I don't want to leave anybody out, but I'd also like to have people that have even basic knowledge of Java or at least have attempted to make their own programs.

I stand by the saying, "Just jump in." We will make mistakes, and we will learn from them, we can teach each other and do what we've always wanted to do. The experience we can gain from this could prove valuable later on in our programming careers.

Advertisement
What type of 2d game are you making. I have been teaching myself java for a couple months now but I pick up on stuff pretty quick. I am currently working on making a Text Adventure game in java GUI, but I would rather work with somebody else on something so there is more thought put into the game.

I would be interested in this. Java isn't my main focus (C++/OpenGL is right now) but I've done some with it in the past and all game programming is somewhat related so I'm sure it could still be valuable to collaborate about different things.

Please use the classifieds functionality to recruit teams.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement