Online Computer Science degree

Started by
12 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 7 months ago

I am in a predicament here. I want to go to school to get a bachelors in computer science, but I work on a boat 20 days out of the month and don't have time to go to school. I've decided to research online schooling and I have a couple questions about it. Time or cost is not as issue for me at this point. I'm just looking for something doable because of my work schedule.

1) Do I have to take general education courses like biology and history for an online degree is CS?

2)Does getting an online degree effect how companies look at your resume compared to an in-school degree?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I looked at a couple websites and the only thing that has deterred me so far is taking all the general education classes. I wouldn't mind a few math classes, but I don't want to take anything unnecessary if I don't have to.

If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)

Advertisement

0. I want to go to school to get a bachelors in computer science, but I work on a boat 20 days out of the month and don't have time to go to school.
1) Do I have to take general education courses like biology and history for an online degree is CS?
2)Does getting an online degree effect how companies look at your resume compared to an in-school degree?
3. the only thing that has deterred me so far is taking all the general education classes. I wouldn't mind a few math classes, but I don't want to take anything unnecessary if I don't have to.

0. It's not ideal to get a degree online, but if that's all you can do, then that's all you can do. A man can only do what he can do.
1. That depends on the school and their requirements. If the school says you have to take certain courses to get their degree, then you have to take them.
2. Yes. It absolutely does. Send in a résumé showing that you have no game industry experience and an online degree, and if your cover letter doesn't wow the reader, or if your online portfolio doesn't wow the visitor, then your résumé may go into the cylindrical file.
3. There is no such thing as wasted learning. If the school requires you to take GE classes, then you have to take GE classes. It's NOT a waste of your oh so precious time.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The only issue that is preventing me from going to an actual school is my job. If it wasn't for that, I'd be there right now. But thank you for the advice! I'll have to look at some more schools and make a few phone calls.

If you have a different bachelor's degree already, Oregon State has an online post-baccalaureate degree program.

http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/

I'm in that program and it's pretty challenging. They don't skimp on the workload because its online, and the degree is the same as their in class degree.

When I was researching this back in the day, this was the only program I found through a regular state university for online computer science. There may be more now, though. I know that a few schools like ASU (Arizona State) are adding engineering programs that are either competely online or mostly online with the exception of lab portions. More schools may add computer science to that as well.

Good luck!

3. There is no such thing as wasted learning. If the school requires you to take GE classes, then you have to take GE classes. It's NOT a waste of your oh so precious time.

Id have to disagree woth you here. They are a big waste of time and money, especially since the cost keeps on going up. They arent relevant to what im majoring in and more than likely i forget all the material right after the term ends. As an accountjng major, i found art history to be waste of time and money. But unis throw the excuse of being "well rounded" just so they can jack more tuition money from you.

They arent relevant to what im majoring in and more than likely i forget all the material right after the term ends.

College and university studies are not meant to be job training. They are meant to provide a broad (but shallow) education both on your topic and on more general education.

If you want an education that focuses entirely on your topic, attend a trade school, or go for a specific certification.

There are many trade schools that offer trade degrees in "programming" rather than "computer science" which you can complete in a year or less.

This http://uopeople.edu/ university offers an online CS degree. It is fully accredited and holds great respect among many scholars and professors.

Hope that helps you smile.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

This http://uopeople.edu/ university offers an online CS degree. It is fully accredited and holds great respect among many scholars and professors.

Hope that helps you smile.png

Wow thanks, this looks cool.

Bookmarked for later!!! Thanks again!

Edit*

Removed edit - it was useless information that was a lie!

I looked at a college earlier and decided that a tech school or trade school is the way for me to go! Less general ed classes and more focus on what I want to learn

decided that a tech school or trade school is the way for me to go!

Then you'll need an extra-strong portfolio and an extra-good cover letter. Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement