Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panorama

This topic is 5883 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m wondering how/if I can create a projection matrix with a panorama view: i.e. 360 degrees around the y axis - so the middle point is straight ahead, and the left and right-most points are straight behind. As far as I can tell from the MSDN docs, you must project must onto a plane rather than a cylinder, but is there a way around it? If anyone knows if this can be done in Direct3D, that''d be nice to know, as well. All your bases belong to us

Yes. You can only project onto a plane. Best you could do is to render 4 times to a texture and then render THAT texture to the screen.

Dont be afraid of Render to Texture! Its friendlier than you think!

If this doesnt help then you''ll have to transform your vertices yourself. The main problem will then be rendering the triangles. With this sort of projection the triangles will want/need to be curved but you''ll be rendering straight edged triangles which could get ugly.

It might be worth looking at the sourcecode to panquake. This implements 360'' vision for quake1.
http://wouter.fov120.com/gfxengine/panquake/

Benedict

Reality is Insanity