Sign in to follow this  

Survey:Composing Music for Video Games & Game Sound Design

This topic is 1194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is excellent information. Thank you!

What does this mean? I'm no composer or sound designer so I don't have clue.

I'm guessing virtual music means not using live players. So 54% of music are sample libraries or synths, even on large budget games. 

As a wanabee sound designer it's actually better than I expected.

I mean there is 40% full time? I thought it was like 10. I assume most of them are not junior but still.

Edited by Valoon

Yes, tom, a "game soundtrack clause" is something in the contract which specifically allows a composer to either create and release their own soundtrack CD for sale, or specifies that if the game company creates it, that the composer will receive something from it. (a bonus, per-unit royalty, etc.).

Yes, Mussi-- "virtual" means that the music was created using computers & sound libraries, as opposed to using live players.

A lot of game scores are 100% 'virtual', and some are 100% live.

A lot of big budget scores are mainly "live orchestra" but with some virtual.

I arbitrarily defined "mostly virtual" as being created by computer, but with 4 or fewer live players.  

By contrast, "live" or "predominantly live" was defined as either 100% live musicians, or "virtual with 5 or more live instrumentalists."

This topic is 1194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.