Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeusel

need vertexes and (some) speed

Zeusel    122
want to do a modeling programm for designing spaceships for a game(want to do it myself) i need exact control of the vertexes and some speed, no real time rendering...! what could i do? any ideas?

rickpeek    122
you don''t propably want write modeling utility for single game if you''re single programmer on your own(?)instead:

-learn some fileformat
-license the modeling software
-find exporter plugin for that fileformat if it''s not contained within the software package
-model your geometry
-export your geometry to your galaxy game

Zeusel    122
thats boring! im a single hobby pogrammer, programming to laern programming! so programming a modeling engine will help me programming my real game engine and ill learn real programming too! so, i want to programm! not to let programmed! understood?

rickpeek    122
quote:
Original post by Zeusel
thats boring! im a single hobby pogrammer, programming to laern programming! understood?

you confuse me. you still need to code the geometry format importer part / and more importantly rasterizer for your game, and i quess that''s the job and exp.

Zeusel    122
ok: i''ve prorammed for a half year now! not many! i want to create a little space shooter! and to test my engine, i need some spaceship! i have my own format i the model file, so i need my own modeler! (i doesnt understand the 3ds format ! and because, later i need it sure(writing a cube by hand is horrible...) why dont write it now?

Vaporisator    122
Why don''t you just write a converter for a commonly used fileformat, like the DirectX (.x) for your proprietary one.
Or just make CubeWars

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!

Zeusel    122
Yes, with just one texture i could create a borg cube, wow!!! no directx format!!!! this is opengl, i dont want it!!!! and i dont want a converter-> doesnt really understand other fileformats!!! and i dont want to learn it! i dont need it!

Vaporisator    122
I know you use OpenGl (I prefer it myself too)! I don''t meant you should implement the .x format, I meant you should write a converter from this format to your own one. There are several cheap or free modeling tools that support this format and it isn''t that hard to understand.

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!