Sign in to follow this  
mazdaplz

line/spline to mesh? (extruded platforms/terrain)

i want to program something like the terrain in ubiart framework;

minute 2:08 on this video
http://youtu.be/XoLpPw864eA

you have like a line of vertices that you can modify and the game generates automatically a mesh based on the topology specified,
it even mixes the textures

how would you go about doing this with vertices and triangles? i am at a loss...

anybody have any clue as to how you would go about doing such a thing??, i'd very much appreciate any information or experience you might have!

thanks in advance

how would you go about doing this with vertices and triangles? i am at a loss...

I think the whole terrain is rather a huge polygon which is later tesselated into triangles for rendering. The grass above the polygon is probably the same polygon, scaled outwards a bit. They also switch the grass texture to a rock texture based on the slope of the polygon (in fact it's the other way around - they switch the rock texture to a grass texture for horizontally-sloped polygons). All of this can be done with shaders.

Here's a nice tutorial (just read the description/explanation of the technique - ignore the assembly language): http://northwaygames.com/a-pixelfragment-shader-example-in-flash/

Edited by tonemgub

thank you very much friend, the shader part really doesn't interest me as much, and it was not tessellation what i was looking for but rather thanks to you i found out that the method i need here is called triangulation,

i am researching now something called triangulation by ear clipping, which i plan to implement soon!