Other Uses for Graphic Libraries

Started by
9 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 9 years, 7 months ago

So the main thing that comes to mind well for me at least when it comes to graphic libraries is incorporating them to create video games. Anyone know of examples that use them for other purposes? Im asking because being that my art is abysmal and I dont have the patience for it, rather than create a game I would enjoy and have more fun making an actual program like Blender as an example that may incorporate it in some way. Any help or pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

rather than create a game I would enjoy and have more fun making an actual program

Um, what?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

rather than create a game I would enjoy and have more fun making an actual program

Um, what?

Sorry now that im reading it again, it sounds stupid. What I was trying to say rather than use graphics to create games use them to create programs like Blender, GIMP, Paint, etc where the use of graphics is still incorporated but not specifically for gaming.

Level editors, simulators, 3D modellers, CAD architecture programs, anything that needs information to be displayed in 3D.

I also enjoy making non-game desktop applications (in addition to games); it has a different "flavor" to it than game programming, and both are enjoyable in a different way.

What is it you want help and pointers with?

There is not really any (technical) difference between displaying 3D for a game, then for any other type of program.

Maybe you would enjoy making some sort of middle-ware tools geared towards games? One thought that comes to mind is a particle system toolset. You don't really have to be any good at drawing, and you can make something very beautiful and useful.

We use all the same tech as games for an advanced compositing desktop shell with lots of eye candy and stuff. The original development team included a bunch of ex-AAA game devs, and we regularly work with the graphics vendors and tools and framework upstreams to keep everything working together smoothly as technology advances. Pretty much the only difference is there's no score and the narrative tends to be brief and repetitive.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

writing graphics applications (as opposed to game graphics):

start by writing your own 2d paint program.

maybe expand you low level 2d skills by writing a blitter that does zoom, mirror, flip, and rotate in realtime.

then move on to writing your own basic software renderer (aniso correct trilinear t-mapped polys should be sufficient. add lighting, mipmaps etc as you see fit).

then use your renderer to write a 3d modeling package.

by the time you're done, you'll have learned quite a bit about writing graphics applications

been there. done that. all four type of apps: paint, blitter engine, 3d poly engine, and 3d modeler.

and once you've done all that, THEN you'll be much better equipped to write 3d game graphics.

i have a saying, "go learn how to build each type of app in the world, then come back to me. only then will you be ready to learn how to build games". its not quite accurate, but not far from the truth. games incorporate many things from many types of software.

in case you haven't guessed yet, in my zeal to learn programming while a youth, i wrote one of each major type of app, then moved on to games once i ran out new kinds of apps to write.

and if you're in it for the money, learn how to write medical imaging soffware! <g>

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Also: accept early it is highly unlikely anyone will use your tools. Market is saturated with excellent free versions of everything written by big teams of very clever people.

Motivation based on one day having a significant user base in this area is fraught with peril.

That said, I wrote/am writing my own 3D modeller that I use and it was a joy to write and is great to have total control of my workflow.

Any kind of generative art.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement