How you design RPG game's exp table?

Started by
6 comments, last by TheChubu 9 years, 5 months ago

Hi.

I am currently thinking & making mobile RPG game.

Hero, skills, comrades, monsters,,,,

How you design RPG game's exp?

1st question

-----------------------

So specifically, how monster should strong? how much exp 1 monster should give to user(if same level with hero)?

For hero, how much exp needed to 1 level up?

After 1 level up, how much should be more strong?, How many rewards should be given to hero for 1 level up?

Are there suitable EXP table?

-------------------------

2nd question

-------------------------

If I want my mobile RPG game have no ends, want to my game's user can continuously play,

but if user's hero character should be strong again and again, and monsters, hero's skill's value and effect also should be strong as those level, how can I manage all them?

How can I set exact proper values of all of them?

So if I choose development way of [reset hero character's level whenever user start some map(stage)], because of burden and hardness and lack of designer (currently, just myself and another co-designer guy) of make [endless growth and leveling up continuously],

is this still can be fun for users? Any tips or good reference document or book for making [reset level type RPG]?

-----------------------------

Thanks a lot.

www.perfectionofwisdom.com

Advertisement

There's no easy answer to this question.

You have to realize people spend hours/days figuring these out, and they always vary based on your specific concept.

how monster should strong?

You have no defined the rules by which your game abide, nor what stats are at play, and what formulae governs combat.

how much exp 1 monster should give to user(if same level with hero)?

how much XP would the hero need to level up at said level? How does it scale from level to level? How much 'forgiveness' do you want to have? (specifically, would killing out-dated monsters still allow you significant progress towards the next level (opening up to grinding))?

For hero, how much exp needed to 1 level up?

My suggestion is to start with the smallest number possible, and adapt as you go.

but if user's hero character should be strong again and again, and monsters, hero's skill's value and effect also should be strong as those level, how can I manage all them?

Maths.

'SquareSoft' (now known as SquareEnix) became popular for using squared numbers. It allowed a constant, exponential growth.

There are various other ways though, but it's important not to come with individual values, but rather, formulae that can generate unlimited possibilities.

I'm affraid I can't offer any more assistance without more details.

A common way to start the experience points calculate of character levels (exp threshold to reach level X) and the exp reward of monsters are the fibonacci numbers. This is just a starting point, which works quite good, still you will need to tweak (scale, interpolate etc) it later on to fit it into your game.

Also, it's important to differentiate two different metrics:

- Total Experience Points required

- Experience Points for Next Level (Which is essentially (Total Experience Points for next level - Total Experience Points from last level)

It's possible you'll end up with a formula that affects either, but you'll always need to keep track of the other as well to confirm your algorithm behaves appropriately.

i give you the "magic formula", invented by yours truly, which relates exp and level, based on exp to reach the first level up, and uses exponential growth:

level = sqrt ( exp / exp for 1st levelup), rounded down.

example:

lets say you start at level 0, with zero exp. and you decide arbitrarily that it will be 1000 exp to reach level 1. then your exp required for 1st levelup is 1000.

now, use that number 1000 in the formula:

player has 0 exp: level=sqrt(0/1000)=0

player has 1000 exp: level=sqrt(1000/1000)=1

player has 4000 exp: level=sqrt(4000/1000)=2

player has 9000 exp: level=sqrt(9000/1000)=3

and so on....

exp level

16K 4

25K 5

36K 6

49K 7

you can also make exp slowly go down over time, to model "getting rusty".

this will require some small amount of constant adventuring just to keep one's experience levels up.

how tough a given level of monster or player should be is up to you.

and remember, levels is just ONE way to model how "tough" something is, not the ONLY way.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I use two formulas:

exp required = level * level * 10 (for "can reach very high level" RPGs)

OR

exp required = level * level * level * 10 (for traditional RPGs)

These work perfect :)

Note you can (and probably should) approach it also from another angle, which is "how much exp you get from killing an enemy of level X".

Generally, you should ask yourself "how much time the player should need to reach level X" or "what is the level the player will reach upon the game end", once you know these you can pad the numbers to reach your desired goal. Also, (and that's the best part) since it's arbitraly more or less then you don't need to sweat if your formula worked quite different than you planned (there will be just different max level the players will reach and no one will find it weird or broken).

Overall this question is pointless theorethically, just make a prototype and pad the numbers if needed. Really, I did it many times and it always worked out fine, without me thinking about it much.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

The point relating to how much XP you get from actions is extremely important.

While growing in experience the amount received from actions has to also grow at a similar or lesser way.

When considering your starting point it's very important to think about how many actions you want the user to do for him to accomplish something.

In traditional games progression is usually slow and steady, but in social games you want very fast progression initially and slowing down afterwards.

In summary: Determine the number of actions (killing monsters, winning battles) you want the user to do before he reaches a level, map this out for the first 10 levels then progress using actions to determine the next levels.

Playtest a lot.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement