Sign in to follow this  
duskndreamz

Native DirectX engine or Unity 3D

Friends, 

I am working on a project for Car simulator project. 

The Car Simulator software is currently based on Directx9.0c. 

My requirement is to update the software and built it up from scratch.The reason for the up gradation is that features like Tyre skid mark, smoke, headlight glare have not been implemented by us in Directx 9.0c

My request to all of you is to guide me whether to upgrade to Directx11 and write the complete rendering engine afresh, or use UNITY as the base to develop the game engine. 

Please give me some directions on which option to take. 

You might want to use Unity3D or some other game engine, as you won't spend time writing the game engine which then you can use to actually refine your project. All the things you will need (Particle Systems, etc.) are already included in these game engines and thus you will save a lot of time. Being a Unity3D user myself, I am very satisfied with it. You can have a look at other engines too like Unreal Engine, etc. If you don't have the money to get a license for these engines, you might want to consider open source engines like Torque3D. If you have the time and resources, then building your own engine is really good for experience. But if you are short of time, then using a pre-made engine will be much more efficient.

Yeah, I also vote for Unity3D (or any other higher-level-engine comparable), as it has my things on board but offers the feature to alter them or trade them in for your own stuff.

Further you can concentrate more on refining than on recoding. Saves a lot of Time and Nerves.

Many people argue that Unity3D is for Artists, which might be right in some context, but it also gives, as said before, the oppertunity to code everything yourself.

Thus you can be faster with it when using the stock-includes but be limited (even if it still looks good) or you can code your own stuff which consumes time but can reach

results that are equal to commercials.

The Car Simulator software is currently based on Directx9.0c. 

My requirement is to update the software and built it up from scratch.The reason for the up gradation is that features like Tyre skid mark, smoke, headlight glare have not been implemented by us in Directx 9.0c

so you have a car sim that uses dx9.0c, and you're thinking of porting it to dx11 or unity just to get decals, alpha blended particles, and lighting and fog? you do realize that 9.0c can do all that, right?  back in the day i did all that in a combat gravcar sim except decals with DX 8.0b fixed function, and it (dx8.0b) supported decals as i recall  (grav cars don't lay skid marks, they just kick up a lot of dust! <g>).

or do you need other things DX9.0c (with shaders) can't do?

weigh the development time cost of each alternative: porting to dx11, porting to unity, or implementing remaining features in dx9, and don't forget to add in the time to learn any new APIs and/or tools!

whatever takes the least time will get you to release sooner.

Edited by Norman Barrows