Shallow Space - a 3D RTS

Started by
52 comments, last by ShallowSpace1 7 years, 5 months ago
The latest ship the PLC 'Matar' is now up for viewing on the 3D turntable over on the blog with some accompanying facts.

MatarTopBranded.jpg

The roadmap has also been updated with the most recent progressions. Stand-by for a big article in-bound over on IndieDB regarding modding and the planned campaign mode!

campaign.jpg

Advertisement
Big announcement over on IndieDB as we come to some realisations and decide to embrace the modding community, we hint at the campaign mode and the Steam page gets launched!

True to our style, we have a big stack of cool stuff ready to be belt fed into the community there so follow the page and check in from time to time.

Excerpt from the IndieDB page:

"On the journey to Early Access last week I came to quite an unexpected crossroads. You see I took the scene that I’d been using to construct the tactical side of things and began to tear it down into individual components to design levels, it was at that point that I realised I could either take the easy route and hardcode the level editor into the game OR I could do the right thing."

Read on in 'Belly of the Beast' or if you can take no more of my idle prattle; go direct to the Steam page!

Unity-2015-08-26-10-55-35-84.jpg

The latest ship is created for the Omega project; the Destroyer 'Markab' joins the PLC 'Pegasus series' line-up.

An excerpt below from the blog (link) which contains both a 3D turntable and design blurb...

"Due to increased usage of Carriers to deliver Corvettes in sporadic combat, the use of Corvettes as station defense and the expense of the PLC’s flagship Carrier combined with a full complement, the ‘Markab’ was developed as an entirely new class of ship in the PLC ‘Pegasus series’ line-up."

WingofMarkabsPatrollingAsteroidsBrandedR

New video up showing off some background variations, a hint at the campaign mode, a track from the games OST and a fly around the PLC Destroyer 'Markab!'

tte-logo-blue-reduced.png

There are 8 human factions in the Shallow Space universe:

- The 3 core empire factions with overall control of the majority of humanity.
- The 3 mighty corporations, nipping at the emperors heels for dominance
- The 2 subversive authorities living outside of the core worlds of Shallow Space in the fringe colonies nibbling at the edges of the Imperium.

Some of the factions are further split into subordinate authorities or companies, some with Elite units and/or special abilities.

Find out about the next revealed faction; 'The Terran Empire,' as well as star charts of the remaining undisclosed two core systems, here.

[Abbreviated: TTE] The Terran Empire is the ruling government of the human population in the region known as 'Shallow Space'. It currently comprises 3 'core' stellar systems and 8 'colony' systems. They are spread across a region of space roughly circular in shape with a diameter approximately 100 light years.
We talk about some of the principles of the AI in the latest development post and talk about how individual components on a ship can influence the decisions of a ship or it's formation in a bid to make the behaviour of the units seem more realistic.

Overlord AI gets mentioned and we talk a little bit about how it behaves reacting to the same information that a human player would, and how it doesn't cheat.

"Those of you that have been following the project have likely noted the enforced unit formations, and some of you have asked question about this additional layer of complexity. Just why have we opted for such a system? What does it add to control or gameplay? In this article we want to talk about just that."*

*"Overlord might of course then divert other Flotillas to the fight, or adopt another tactic to keep you on your toes, so as the Player you’ll have to appreciate the entire scope of the mission and the setting not just that particular conflict"

Read on in 'of Simulating Intelligence and Overlord AI'

BasicsOfSIInverted2.jpg

Wow!

Very, very nice!

Its sad to say, my gaming time has gone done to zero due to making my own games, but this really looks good!

Keep it up and thanks for the updates!

Even if you think no one is listening, someone is always watching!

Haha thanks dude! Yeah I know the feeling - very time consuming business games creation - if not coding, then managing, if not managing then planning, in fact I joke with the guys that marketing is my downtime lol.

Glad you appreciate them, thanks again. :)

Wow, the game looks really good! And nice updates! We're trying to market our game as well so we know how time-consuming that is :P

Wow, the game looks really good! And nice updates! We're trying to market our game as well so we know how time-consuming that is tongue.png

Cheers yeah it certainly is time consuming!

With PLC being one of the core factions in-game, they will receive a full compliment of ships in a range of sizes from Corvettes and Destroyers up to Carriers and Battleships. This week the Pleiades Light Cruiser ‘Enif’ joins the line-up. Check it out!

"This verticality means the craft has a minimal attack surface when lined up for a direct assault or a direct withdrawal increasing the natural avoidance of Large [L] and Very Large [XL] projectiles."

vlc-2015-09-20-23-16-09-351-e14428662909

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement