Help Me Be Creative! (making an rpg game need ideas)

Started by
9 comments, last by IveGotDryEye 9 years, 7 months ago

Ok here's the deal, i am working on an 2d rpg game. I plan to work on it for a while.

the gods have abandoned man and put all their powers deep in the earths mountains in the form of a stone. when the stone was found it caused people who lay eyes on it to be consumed by a kind of greed unlike any other. soon after the stone caused its first death. filled with fear some tried to destroy it. others tried to protect it. a great war broke out. in the end the stone was destroyed. they thought they had saved themselves. they only released what was sealed within.

ok so i need help coming up with a storyline to work with this paragraph above. anyone want to help me out?

Advertisement

Either:

1) this is a recruitment post in which case you should post it in the classifieds, or

2) this is in the wrong forum and should be located in the Writing for Games forum.

edit: don't create a new thread -- just indicate it should be posted in Writing for games forum if it is choice number 2 -- you can use the report button below to attract a mods attention

Based on the above, I believe it should be a classifieds. I don't think anyone would literally write the story for you without proper credit or compensation.

My suggestions:

1) Hire someone

2) Come up with more meat, and present not as a "help me write this story" but rather an open inquiry for comments, or specific questions you'd like the reader to consider and comment on.

Been listening to any They Might Be Giants by any chance? ("The Statue Got Me High")

I'll need a bit more direction. I like what you've got so far, but where are you liking input?

Here is my technical background info.

Ok here's the deal, i am working on an 2d rpg game. I plan to work on it for a while.

the gods have abandoned man and put all their powers deep in the earths mountains in the form of a stone. when the stone was found it caused people who lay eyes on it to be consumed by a kind of greed unlike any other. soon after the stone caused its first death. filled with fear some tried to destroy it. others tried to protect it. a great war broke out. in the end the stone was destroyed. they thought they had saved themselves. they only released what was sealed within.

ok so i need help coming up with a storyline to work with this paragraph above. anyone want to help me out?

sorry i intend to create a game based on the ideas of a bunch of people not just my own or someone i hired this game is going to be given away for free when its done so i don't intend to spend much while making it. oh and its #2 this does belong in the writing for games forum i didn't notice sorry this is my first day using this site and that was my first post ever. i hope you can forgive my arrogance.

In this case, I suggest making a classified using the Hobbyist Project tag. This fits with your aims I believe and you are more likely to hit people that are interested in joining a project where the intent is not necessarily profit.

Best of luck.

Agreed, while this could generate some good content you can either post in the "ad location" to get people for direct help, or you can reword the post and make it a discussion topic. For now.. I think we can move this to the writing section!

Thanks

Back story:

Sealed inside the stone was the raw form of luck, which governed the outcome of all events meant to be random. Before the stone was destroyed, the person that controls the stone controls luck. When the stone was destroyed, luck itself become broken. Every random event type retains the same outcome. From that day on, every time a coin is flipped, it will always land on its tail.

Game title: Tail's End

Storyline:

The main character used to be a determined young hunter making an honest living with his family. But lately his luck seemed to be stuck at the bad side. The bow hunting skill that he relied on had vanished. With damage so low that he could hunt nothing but squirrels, he found no option but to find another career in town.

On the way to town, he chased away some bullies by looking badass with bow and arrow, and saved a young traveling fortune teller. As a reward of his help, she offered to give him a free fortune-telling and drew a tarot card which turned out to be the Hero card, assuring him that with the right attitude, he will overcome the challenge and his good deeds will be recognized. With that, the Hero decided to treat her for dinner and they went to a tavern.

At the tavern, they encountered a person making a commotion proclaiming the end of the world, as evident by accounts of non-stop bad weather in some regions and hens not laying eggs, citing the rumor that the legions had destroyed a sacred artifact of the gods in the mountains, leading to the end of the world. Refusing to calm down, the man challenged the annoyed people to bet that a coin flip would always land on its tail as the irrefutable proof that the world was ****ed. Instead of feeling alarmed, the people kicked the man out after losing the bet multiple times, blaming him for his sorcery.

The Hero went out to help the man because something he said reminded him of his vanished archery skill.

Story direction:

The Hero decides to journey to where the artifact was destroyed to find out the truth about the situation. On the way there, he would have to fight naturally existing monsters while adopting a new set of skills. He will encounter other people affected by the lack of luck, and find creative ways to mitigate the effects. He will also discover the fragments of the artifact, and their properties to partially determine the outcome of events. As the investigation continues, he identifies the option to collect all fragments so that outcomes can be re-determined; the option to piece the fragments back to bring back luck; and the option to take advantage of the broken luck to hide the fragments forever, but not before making sure that the deterministic world would not run itself to an end.

Gameplay:

The skill affinity and effects of the each character is randomly determined once at the beginning and is stuck there. The same goes for all random events in the game, until the Hero collects a fragment that would allow the Hero choose the outcome or an random event. One of the enemies that the Hero must overcome is one that can always do critical hit.

Back story:

Sealed inside the stone was the raw form of luck, which governed the outcome of all events meant to be random. Before the stone was destroyed, the person that controls the stone controls luck. When the stone was destroyed, luck itself become broken. Every random event type retains the same outcome. From that day on, every time a coin is flipped, it will always land on its tail.

Game title: Tail's End

Storyline:

The main character used to be a determined young hunter making an honest living with his family. But lately his luck seemed to be stuck at the bad side. The bow hunting skill that he relied on had vanished. With damage so low that he could hunt nothing but squirrels, he found no option but to find another career in town.

On the way to town, he chased away some bullies by looking badass with bow and arrow, and saved a young traveling fortune teller. As a reward of his help, she offered to give him a free fortune-telling and drew a tarot card which turned out to be the Hero card, assuring him that with the right attitude, he will overcome the challenge and his good deeds will be recognized. With that, the Hero decided to treat her for dinner and they went to a tavern.

At the tavern, they encountered a person making a commotion proclaiming the end of the world, as evident by accounts of non-stop bad weather in some regions and hens not laying eggs, citing the rumor that the legions had destroyed a sacred artifact of the gods in the mountains, leading to the end of the world. Refusing to calm down, the man challenged the annoyed people to bet that a coin flip would always land on its tail as the irrefutable proof that the world was ****ed. Instead of feeling alarmed, the people kicked the man out after losing the bet multiple times, blaming him for his sorcery.

The Hero went out to help the man because something he said reminded him of his vanished archery skill.

Story direction:

The Hero decides to journey to where the artifact was destroyed to find out the truth about the situation. On the way there, he would have to fight naturally existing monsters while adopting a new set of skills. He will encounter other people affected by the lack of luck, and find creative ways to mitigate the effects. He will also discover the fragments of the artifact, and their properties to partially determine the outcome of events. As the investigation continues, he identifies the option to collect all fragments so that outcomes can be re-determined; the option to piece the fragments back to bring back luck; and the option to take advantage of the broken luck to hide the fragments forever, but not before making sure that the deterministic world would not run itself to an end.

Gameplay:

The skill affinity and effects of the each character is randomly determined once at the beginning and is stuck there. The same goes for all random events in the game, until the Hero collects a fragment that would allow the Hero choose the outcome or an random event. One of the enemies that the Hero must overcome is one that can always do critical hit.

Epic man i will put a lot of this into the game. you are really good at making stories dude! i might just take this idea and put it aside for a later project to be made completely all its own. really interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement