Already ready to start making simple games

Started by
10 comments, last by frob 9 years, 7 months ago

Hello everyone,

A few months ago i bought myself a book about c++ and started learning.

Altought i haven't finished the book yet (But i will ofcourse) i wanted to know how far i already am

and what is still essential to learn in order to start making small games (like pong first).

The things i know know are:

-variables
-statements like if, for, switch, etc.
-functions
-arrays
-vectors
-pointers(the theory, but sometime it still can be hard to use)
-classes

I hope you will have something about this information.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

have you tryed using any game engines or sfml? if not you should because i think u know enough to make small games

You should first read a bit about C++11 smart pointers, starting with modern C++ is probably easier. This comes down to practically never using raw pointers.

I think you need to know more about "game programming" specifics.

All of the "things" you know are practical / syntax-related ways of doing things.

One key skill missing would be to know better how to architecture a program, and specifically for game development.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/how-to-structure-a-game-r3113

This above article might help get you started, but I'm sure you can find more "advanced" articles on architecture, patterns, etc.

Good luck!

You will need to figure out how you can render your game on the screen. If you plan on doing something basic with ASCII art then you can get away with simple console commands to output text. However if you want to render graphics then you'll need to know how to load images and display them on the screen.

Thanks for all reactions,

only one question: Do you need to know about polyformism and inheritance in order to make games?

thanks again

Do you need to know about polyformism and inheritance in order to make games?

You don't have to know polymorphism or inheritance to make games, however if you do understand these concepts it will save you a bunch of repetitive code, meaning your final game source code will be much smaller.

I did a post Just Starting Out, Which games should I make? which should be useful you now. It's a list of projects in escalating difficulty that I suggest beginners start with.

Most importantly, it tells you why. So for each game it tells you what specifically you will learn from doing that game, as well as gives links to related sites and samples that should help you along.

That should basically get you through the simple game hump.

WOW every time i aks something on this site, it scares the hell out of me how quick there are reaction :D! Really great.

But Serapth thanks for the link, that was what i was looking for. Do you recommend me to do those things along with some of

the include tutorial, or do you think it's better to get my hand filthy and try some things first (altought i have no idea how to make things like AI yet).

thanks

If Im not mistaken you could try in Unreal Engine, They support C++ and it will make it easier for you to create a game, however

I would suggest Unity 3D. It support C#, UnityScript (JS) and Boo (Python).

Unity has a great support for programmers. And they will help you solve, and fix any type of problem you may have in very short time (Just like in this website heh)

Here is the link for the Script Section in Unity Forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/scripting.12/

Have a look.

But you can choose any Engine you prefer. Both have millions of free tutorials in the internet :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement