Names for medieval tournament skills

Started by
9 comments, last by JohnnyCode 9 years, 6 months ago

MMO (europe1300.eu), players fight each other in tournament (note not all of them are knights). There is a skills system.

I need a few (like 3-5) names for skills that can be used in such tournament. I would like them more descriptive/mood like than technical also I prefer them somewhat generic (so no "fighting with one handed swords" but instead "fencing"). Also I prefer them not loo long (UI display concerns).

(strangely I could not google any :D)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

Hmm... It might depend on the form of the tournament: is there jousting? Archery? Is it just a free-for-all melee?

What sort of skills do you have in mind? Are we talking about weapon requirements--you need the "one-handed" skill to wield any single-handed sword, and the "two-handed" skill to wield any two-handed sword--or are these individual moves--"whirlwind attack", "pommel-strike", etc.--or perhaps requirements for individual weapons--"gladius", "claymore", "halberd", etc.--or something else again?

(By the way, I may be mistaken, but I don't think that fencing is specific to one-handed weapons; I seem to recall seeing combat involving two-handed swords being referred to as "fencing" as well.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

(By the way, I may be mistaken, but I don't think that fencing is specific to one-handed weapons; I seem to recall seeing combat involving two-handed swords being referred to as "fencing" as well.)
Exactly, I look especially for "catch all" skills without specyfing what weapon is used. Generic ones that sound cool but don't say much :D Like:

- Fighting (used for all sort of combat) [I don't like the name]

- Fencing

- Parrying

Hmm... It might depend on the form of the tournament: is there jousting? Archery? Is it just a free-for-all melee?
That too is unspecified.

Generally, I have 2 kinds of duels, one for battlefield (all tricks allowed) and second for a tournament.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Not sure I get what you are looking for, but here's an attempt:

Riposte

Downward Swing

Backhanded Swing

Foward Lunge

@Acharis: Hmm... That's still a little vague, but let me have a shot at it (in addition to the above):

Sword techniques:

Half-swording

Pommel-strikes

Feinting

General technique:

Footwork

Posture

A few weapon proficiencies:

One-handed sword

Two-handed sword

Mace

Polearm

One-handed axe

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Feinting

General technique:
Footwork
Posture

Yes, something like these. But note that skills in the game are mostly non combat (like crafting, mining, education, law) so someting like "posture" would be misleading (not associated immediately with combat).

All right... So perhaps something like the following?

Swordsmanship

Combat footwork

Feinting

Riposting

Parrying

I don't know how your skill system works, so it's difficult to suggest how these might apply. Offhand, however, a good swordsman might be particularly effective on the attack, and have bonuses to all other skills save footwork; a character with good footwork can manoeuvre more effectively than most, avoiding attacks and getting into positions that provide bonuses to attack; a character with high skill at feinting would be skilled at putting the opponent onto the defensive, forcing them to rely on their parry or footwork skills and potentially providing a bonus to attack; a character that is good at riposting might be very good at attacking after a parry; a character that is good at parrying is very good at deflecting incoming attacks.

(Thinking about it a little further, it might be wise to fold riposting into parrying, since they synergise so heavily.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Skills

The names are not great, but this is a system that works very well in tournament combat.

I don't know how your skill system works, so it's difficult to suggest how these might apply. Offhand, however, a good swordsman might be particularly effective on the attack, and have bonuses to all other skills save footwork
It's not exactly like that. The skills system is 90% about non combat stuff (smelting ore, gathering honey, wood cutting, law, etc). So I just wanted to add some "choose this skill if you want to fight better", also that's why I would not want to have too many of these (like 5 would be best). So I want them generic. Then there would be techniques (not skills, kind of similar) that use skills to improve their effect, or the skills would affect the combat in a more genetic way (like test if you have not lost balance). So there are skills (generic) and techinques (detailed, precise, technical special effects).

SKILLS:

Fighting / Combat (something very generic, used always in all combat, not sure how to name it)

Fencing

Parrying

Weapon Mastery

Armour Mastery

Athletics (does not sound very medieval...)

Horse Raiding

TECHNIQUES:

Riposte

Counter Strike

Shield Bash

Downward Swing

Backhanded Swing

Foward Lunge

Pommel-strikes

One-handed sword proficiency

Two-handed sword proficiency

Mace proficiency

Polearm proficiency

One-handed axe proficiency

Fighting / Combat (something very generic, used always in all combat, not sure how to name it)

What about "Skill at arms"?

Horse Raiding

Erm, do you mean horse riding? "Raiding" refers to a sudden attack, especially with the goal of looting or suppressing, I believe.

(If you do mean "riding", perhaps "horsemanship" would work a little better?)

Otherwise that looks more or less fine, I think. ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement