Sign in to follow this  

Performance problems when loading heightmaps

This topic is 1191 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I have figured out how to build vertices from a heightmap. I currently load 33*33 heightmaps in my game. When I move in game, I delete the heightmaps and vertices that are too far away and build new ones at the right location. But when I load these vertices into the GPU memory, the framerate is dropping down to about 30 for a second, then it is 60 until new vertices are loaded and so on...

What my program is doing:

At initialization: Create buffers (with D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT)

Multithreaded: Create arrays and store them in RAM

in render thread: Load arrays into the buffers (if updated) using the following code:

DeviceContext->UpdateSubresource(m_Buffers->VertexBuffer, 0, 0, m_vertices, 0, 0);
DeviceContext->UpdateSubresource(m_Buffers->IndexBuffer, 0, 0, m_indices, 0, 0);

I don't know how to increase the performance, I tried almost everything, but nothing seems to solve this problem...

There are 33*33 vertex arrays, each one for a 64x64 meter chunk, with 4 different quality levels (there are less vertices per chunk in chunks that are far away). At quality 0 there are 256*256 quads (4 vertices, 6 indices) per chunk, at quality level 3 only 32*32. 5*5 chunks have quality level 0, 9*9-5*5 have quality level 1, 13*13-9*9 have quality level 2 and the other chunks have quality level 3. So there are 33+13*2+9*2+5*2 chunks that are updated when I cross the border of a chunk.

Am I doing something basically wrong or should this work with a little bit of optimation?

Greetings,

Magogan

PS: Sorry for my bad english :(

Edited by Magogan

I solved this issue! biggrin.png I added the following code to the multithreaded terrain chunk initialization:

if (ApplicationClass::InitializationState == STATE_IN_WORLD){
	while (WaitForSingleObject(ApplicationClass::DeviceContextMutex, 0) != WAIT_OBJECT_0){ // Mutex will only be hold when render thread is not holding it
			Sleep(5);
	}
}
else{
	WaitForSingleObject(ApplicationClass::DeviceContextMutex, INFINITE);
}
FillBuffers(ApplicationClass::m_Direct3D->GetDeviceContext());
ReleaseMutex(ApplicationClass::DeviceContextMutex);

(FillBuffers fills free vertex and index buffers with the previously generated vertices/indices using UpdateSubresource.)

Edit: Forget what I said, this doesn't work because loading is too slow now...

Edited by Magogan

I think in situations like this you should profile. And the profile some more. Then send us the numbers so we can see if the look weird.

I can load, render and update LOD for a 64 square kilometer map in 100% single threaded mode, with a weird behavior that sometimes causes a simple touching of a buffer to take 12-14 ms and I don't get any framerate drops.

This topic is 1191 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.