• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Infinisearch

What keeps players...

This topic is 1370 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What keeps players coming back to an MMOG.  I have never played an MMOG but recently was thinking of dabbling in some hobby design of one.  But seeing as I have no experience with them I figure I'd ask here what makes players come back for more in an MMOG, is it the social interaction, coop quests, exploration, dicovery...?  My imagination is leading me towards an MMORPG so if you have specific opinions with regards to them please share, if you have an opinion on other MMOG's again please share.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Advertisement

I'm baffled by why you would try to design a game in a genre you don't play

To be perfectly honest so was I, but it seems to be an itch I have to scratch.

Different players are interested in different things:
Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, Spades: Players who Suit MUDs

Thanks for that, I took a brief look... I'll read it later.  What should I search for to find the 8 role breakdown?

Edited by Infinisearch

I'm baffled by why you would try to design a game in a genre you don't play
I agree, it's a suicide. Especially with MMOs which are very specific and do require from the administrator (not developer since developing such game is easy, the hard part comes later) specific knowledge and experience.

Do yourself a favour and don't do it :)

I think I am going to try the opposite advice - Go for it, design an MMO. I am not disagreeing with any of the advice given to you so far about difficulties inherent, but sometimes you have to butt your head up against a brick wall if only to see if you can break through it...and who knows you might be the metaphorical grandmaster of some oriental discipline (or just your typical average Scottish guy) and be able to Glasgow kiss your way through. Either way I figure you might learn something of value. Good luck :)

I think I am going to try the opposite advice - Go for it, design an MMO. I am not disagreeing with any of the advice given to you so far about difficulties inherent, but sometimes you have to butt your head up against a brick wall if only to see if you can break through it..
It's not about difficulty, actually MMOs are the easiest to make (it took me 2 weeks to make a fully playable version of my first MMO without prior experience with these). The thing is understanding the audience. If you never were there... well, most likely you will sink. You see, "normal" games are a product, a game, MMOs are a service, a world. It's a different mindset.

But to give a practical advice, consider this: There was a chat, people went there to hang around, but since sometimes there was no one to talk to some devs started to add a game to the chat. That's how this genre emerged :) I know it might be a bit of extraggeration, but only a bit, in its core it's very true. Once you understand this you understand the MMO players :)

(note: I make a living making MMOs, but on the other hand I don't earn that much at all so maybe it is me who don't get it :D)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!