What things I should consider before publishing my game?

Started by
4 comments, last by LLeevi 9 years, 6 months ago

Hello everybody!

So, I have come to the finish line of my first game development. The game is an endless 2D side scrolling, which gets harder and harder, and you try to get longer and collect things. The game is made for Android and I'm planning to put it to Google play store maybe soon. Game is programmed using LibGDX combined with various addons for example Universal tween engine. I'm also planning to add Google ads there to get some profit.

Now I'm asking that what kinds of legal, copyright or law -related things I should be considering before publishing my game? For example do I need to do some sort "End user license agreement", "Terms of use" or any sort licensing texts or things? And for example is it okay to use a programming solution found in Google, or am I then breaking some copyright law?

I can handle all the programming and artwork but these things are getting me so confused and I don't want to end up paying a lot of money for something that I cound have avoid by doing something simple. So I'm asking some sort of guidance, if someone could help me, please?

For the last thing, I'm also wondering if I should set up a company for the game?

Thanks!

Advertisement

For example do I need to do some sort "End user license agreement", "Terms of use" or any sort licensing texts or things?

Is your app accessible to kids under 13? Perhaps a look at COPPA might help you here.

'm also planning to add Google ads there to get some profit.

Does Google Ads require you to add a disclaimer in your EULA? (It is often the case with external APIs, etc.)

use a programming solution found in Google

Please define what sort of 'programming solution' you intend on using. Most have licenses. Some are usable, but many have specific clauses you need to look into.

I can handle all the programming and artwork but these things are getting me so confused and I don't want to end up paying a lot of money for something that I cound have avoid by doing something simple. So I'm asking some sort of guidance, if someone could help me, please?

Heck I'm not too shabby with these things, but even I happen to retain the services of a lawyer (so should you, especially if you intend on having your own business and making money from it).

For the last thing, I'm also wondering if I should set up a company for the game?

Most definitely, but if you are located in Canada or USA, there are several easy ways to do so without a lot of paperwork, time and fear. I created my own company under 2 hours!

For example do I need to do some sort "End user license agreement", "Terms of use" or any sort licensing texts or things?

Is your app accessible to kids under 13? Perhaps a look at COPPA might help you here.

'm also planning to add Google ads there to get some profit.

Does Google Ads require you to add a disclaimer in your EULA? (It is often the case with external APIs, etc.)

use a programming solution found in Google

Please define what sort of 'programming solution' you intend on using. Most have licenses. Some are usable, but many have specific clauses you need to look into.

Heck I'm not too shabby with these things, but even I happen to retain the services of a lawyer (so should you, especially if you intend on having your own business and making money from it).

Most definitely, but if you are located in Canada or USA, there are several easy ways to do so without a lot of paperwork, time and fear. I created my own company under 2 hours!

Thanks for your reply!

It seems the easist way just to talk with lawyers...

And about the programming solutions, I just meant some other people's tutorials or questions and answers in stackowerflow and etc.

And about the programming solutions, I just meant some other people's tutorials or questions and answers in stackowerflow and etc.

So long as you don't copy/paste it and make it your own.

It seems the easist way just to talk with lawyers...

Yes, when you are entering into business you need to work with lawyers.

You need to ensure any taxes are paid and that they are reported properly. Government groups get REALLY angry when you don't properly file and pay taxes.

You need to ensure you properly register your business, perhaps as a corporation, perhaps as a "DBA" (Doing Business As) or whatever the pass-through registration is called in your location. This will usually involve a small fee as government likes their cut. Sometimes you must register at a national, state, and local level.

COPPA was mentioned if youth are involved. Cookie policies are required by most of Europe and a few other countries. Privacy policies that allow you to give data to anybody are a good protection and most people don't read them. Terms of service are necessary as you will want to ban spammers without them coming back and suing you. If you accept money then a warranty disclaimer and EULA are appropriate, and you need to provide a means for disputes and refunds.

For things that you referenced from tutorial sites and books it is usually acceptable to use it, although some restrictions may apply. If they made it available on their site and it bears the GPL header, that applies. Usually (but not always) the material are made available for teaching and the posters don't mind its use. Even the articles on this site are covered by a license. Always verify licenses before including sources from tutorials.

There are lots more, your business lawyer can help you build a list. They've probably already got a ready-made list that they can give you.

Business lawyers aren't particularly expensive. They are very different from trial defense lawyers. A good business lawyer around here is $150-$200 per hour, and if you've already read up on your local business requirements they can help you identify any holes in your business side in 1-2 hours.

It may seem like a lot if you are running it as a hobby business, but a few hundred bucks up front is quite valuable insurance to prevent thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in defense if something goes wrong.

A good business lawyer is an inexpensive insurance investment.

Thank you very much for you clarifying answer!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement