Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smurf_killa1

Making an online text based game...

Hey there! I have some ideas on creating an online text based games, such as pimpwar.com or swirve.com games. If you''ve ever played any of these games you would understand that they are mainly text based and number based. Since I''m very new to progamming, (some HTML and a bad start with VB6, "hello world" but i''m not gonna get into that lol) I was wondering what I should start taking up, as in what programming language I should learn. These online multiplayer games have file extensions of .cgi (like www.game.swirve.com/blah/weapons.cgi) so I assume they are CGI games. Is this right? Or is there a more efficient language (I hear ASP, and tons more crap) Anyways, If you can help me, please respond. Thanks!

To write CGI you can use about any language. You can use C/C++, you can use Pascal. Perl is probably the best choice, and the easiest to learn of all. It''s not actually a language, but rather a script that''s executed everytime you run the CGI file.

For a on-line text based game, Perl will be the perfect choice for a beginner, since it has expressions you can use to parse strings, which makes it really great.

If you need more help let me know.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think that PHP will probably be a little bit easier for you to learn. www.php.net has an excellant online manual, and PHP is much the same as Perl syntax wise.

*don''t feel like registering now, sorry*