Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grasshopper

Looking for a 3d file format that includes bone info.

I''m trying to create a library to handle bone animation and I''m wondering what a good 3d file format that contains bone info is. Also if you know a good file format to use then do know where i can find info on reading that type of file.

good question which i am not sure of, however, i believe HALF-LIFE (.mdl) character models use bones and saves this in its file(multiple files such as .smd and .qc files to be integrated into .mdl). Milkshape3d, a modeling program allows u to work with this file, however, i dont know much more then this about the format. In fact, bones and using/learning its operations is something i wish to learn as well....good luck.

Yes, Milkshape3D ASCII is the way to go. It''s text so you can see where everything is, making it easier to load. The only problem is, Milkshape ASCII can only hold info for a single animation. What I ended up doing is make multiple copies of the same model, each with a different animation. Then I made a custom convertor which loads the vertex data once, and then extracts the bone animation info from each of those files, putting it all into my engine''s model file format.

The other good thing about milkshape3D is you can import models from almost every other major game. Half-life models in specific, work very well.

If you want to see the code for bone animation, check out Crisp3D at http://nehe.gamedev.net/files/crisp3d_v3.zip

Hope that helps

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks for the info but i''d rather use a format that isn''t ASCII. I''m trying to impress videogames companies and they might see Milkshape files as being for beginners. Does anyone know for sure if the half-life files include bone info? What about quake3 files?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Videogame companies are never impressed unless you tell them it will cost them next to nothing and sell for millions. Make a MOD. They dont even need to see any of the source and it will give them a good idea of what you can do. Any job that requires vast amount of current knowledge also need direct field experience.

go to nehe.gamedev.net. he has a lession on loading MD2, MS3D files. I believe it is under the Game Tuts section. I use the MS3D stuff, but it didnt include loading textures. I had to find that info for myself. It works real well.

BBBBBBBBOBBBBBBBBB

Yeah, MilkShape3D is really nice, u should visit it''s website, i''m using it in my 3d engine, the bone animation & it''s SDK is good too.

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/