Sign in to follow this  

sqlite as db backend for mmorpg?

This topic is 1183 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Usually, I tend to favour Postgresql for my server tests, but last night I was thinking about trying something different (not MySQL). Is it feasible to use Sqlite for MMORPG servers in terms of scalability, perfomance, etc?

Edited by rogerdv

No, due to "in terms of scalability." SQLite is quite clearly not designed for the kinds of massive scalability and distributed access that a healthy MMORPG needs.

Just use MySQL/MariaDB, Oracle, or SQL Server. Those are what most of the big boys use. Postgre may well work just fine, too.

Either you're "trying something different" in your tech stack or you're making a game.

It may be possible to use it. Just save the npcs, players etc. every 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Access the database only when necessary (character creation, disconnect of player etc.). This may work, but I cannot guarantee it.

This topic is 1183 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.