Feeback Plz

Started by
7 comments, last by Mooglez 22 years, 5 months ago
Has this been done ? Theme: "Star Wars". I''m refering to the Reagen/Nixon term for global satellite system, not George Lucus''s film. Genre: 3d shooter with fp zoom in/out view and over the shoulder look similar to Konami''s classic Gyruss, minus all the confusing running/jumping and some different strategy. Concept: You play and control a military satellite. The game starts off with a 360 degree rotational lauch view of you get propelled into space orbit then the screen centers back to the earth as that''s where all the fighting will occur. Goal of the game is pretty simple, perform surgical strikes against enemy areas by zooming in and shoot their command center with laser, shoot down incoming missles/crafts, spying, intercept messages... the basic stuffs. It would also include some complexed stuff like earth''s rotation, changing the satellite''s orbit with thrusters, some AI macro simulation of different nations on Earth engaged in ground warefare, and maybe some space astronauts battle like the old 007 movie "Moonwalker." This is just some basic thoughts, does this game sound fun ? Oluseyi and Bishop, gimme some feedback guys. Since you two know more about 3d programming than the rest of us regular joes.
-------------Blade Mistress Online
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Mooglez
Oluseyi and Bishop, gimme some feedback guys. Since you two know more about 3d programming than the rest of us regular joes.

I am much honored. Thank you.

Now, on to business. The game has some potential, but how much fun can you have as a military satellite? I mean, after thwarting six wars and taking down a few dozen nukes, it starts to get old (and Space Invaders-y) rather rapidly. To give this game a shot of life, you''d need to beef up the spying part. Sure, there''d be directives to focus on a signal from a certain location, but say you could also wander all over the hemisphere in your view, listening to local broadcasts or zooming in on people (having sex perhaps?) Sorta like the satellite in Enemy of the State or Under Siege 2.

Truth is, military satellites are controlled by computers. They''re given coordinates and operands and they execute (relocate, focus, fire, whatever). Maybe you should play the satellite operator, and you can pull off practical jokes with your NSA buddies? Seriously, though, I think this only works as an element in a much more robust game.

Conclusion: a fun diversion or mini-game, but not worthy of an entire "big leagues" title.

P.S. I''d love to do an Enemy of the State -style game, where you hide from the satellite among other things...

I wanna work for Microsoft!
quote:The game has some potential, but how much fun can you have as a military satellite? I mean, after thwarting six wars and taking down a few dozen nukes, it starts to get old (and Space Invaders-y) rather rapidly.

Point taken, this might work on console games as a shooter where you only have to entertain someone for 5 hours but not as a full computer game.

Okey, scratch the military satellite. You play a zealous mad scientist kind of like Dr. Evil. You are on and control an Earth orbital station equiped with weapons, research lab, and a group of followers. (Don''t even ask me how the station was secretly build behind the NATO.) You get to spy on the different nations and blackmail their leaders. Also you can terrorize them with missiles unless they pay your demand. (Political side) You would have to shoot down the missiles the nations launched at you. (shooting) And also defend the station against shuttle attacks where your followers would have to fight the astronauts. (not exactly sure on this.. maybe like 3d turn based battle.) Possible to capture the enemy and persuade them to join you. You can also direct the scientists on board to do research on different technology. And then you can upgrade and design the station with the tech and money gained by building a shuttle on Earth to transport the resource needed for modification send to your station. (little simulation)

Did I leave out anything else that''s interesting besides mini-me ?
So it''s missle command with the monitor turned upside down? Or am I missing something?

Not that it wouldn''t be good, only that it''s been done.
There used to be a game for the Commodore 64 called "DefCon 4", I think. It was a collecion of simple SDI (Star Wars )Games - Shoot down the missiles, scan for misslie bases, take out the missiles, disarm missiles in space, Select STrategic tagets for your missiles, etc. It worked fairly well, and had some great (for it''s time) graphics, but it lost my interest after a week, mistly due to the repetitive nature of everything. Perhaps, if the tasks would have been more complex and varied, rather then doing the same patterns over and over, I would have been more interested.
quote:So it''s missle command with the monitor turned upside down? Or am I missing something?

Well, that is the base concept. However I''m thinking to expand this abit and turn it into full space station sim. (Like a X-Com real time simulation except the focus will be on station''s ability to bombard and zoom in to spy on different nations and intercept intelligence report.)

Lemme give you an example of gameplay events. Say you manage to intercept a coded message with a radar attached to the station but you are unable to decode it. So the data goes to the R&R on the station for decoding. After a couple days (minutes in realtime) your team manage to decipher the code the reveals the location of a secret nuclear missle site. You can then use this information to threaten the nearby nations by aiming the laser at the nuclear site unless they met your demand of a heavy ransom. Now these nations might not be so willing to cooperate with you so they would aim their own missile to destroy the space station which you would have to intercept and shoot down. Also they could launch a shuttle tranporting 007, Austin Powers, and other agents on a station raid which you would have to train your followers to defend against. (And if you can capture these agents you can interrogate them or persuade them to join you instead.) After these failed attempts, the nations would finally give in to your demands and pay the money instead of risking millions of deaths. (Theoretically the player can blow up the entire population of Earth if they wanted. I got nothing against violence in having a little fun WITHIN the game.) Now you can use this earned money to purchase materials to be sent up to the station with a shuttle; you''d have to protect the shuttle also and the hidden underground base where it''s launched. With these materials, you can further develope the station with better technologies like bigger labs, better solor recharge pads, better training facility for your followers, etc... Then the steps cycles back to intercept messages on a continues loop until I can think up of a good story to go with it and an ending to all this.

Evil genius wannabe in work.

If I had a penny every time I think of a new idea... I wouldn''t be rich. I''d be dead, buried under a pile of worthless metals.
If I was playing this game, I'd wipe out all governments (and their defense systems) and do some major scaring of the populace. I'd then take over all terran military outposts and enslave the planet. I'd setup secret baseson several points on the surface of the moon (for rapid recon/attack) and rule the world!

Bwahahahaha...

If any shuttle was launched without my explicit permission, either my moonbases or space station would detect it and obliterate instantly! heheheh... After doing this for a while, I'd just wipe out the earth (from sheer boredom) and head off to explore Pluto.

Like Peeper said, it would work - for about a week. I don't think you want to do all this work for a game with near-zero replayability, so let's back up a second.

Doing something along the lines of MoonRaker would actually be more interesting; play an agent tasked with infiltrating a terrorist space station and reprogramming the remote satellite to not blow up Continental Europe (which would eliminate the terrorists' leverage). Add a few plot twists like the satellite can not be reprogrammed, so maybe you have to alter the orbit of the space station to collide with the satellite, or the lead terrorist is actually the Chairman of the EU (insert other standard spy movie fare here). Let there be several ways to solve the problem as well as a lot of interesting places to explore. Add an earthbound preface like finding out the plot and figuring out how to get to the space station.

This doesn't even need to be high-action 3d; you can implement it as 2d sprites or even as a menu-drive/text-based adventure (brains over brawn). Let me know what you think.

[EDIT:] I'm convinced the bold tag is buggy.

Edited by - Oluseyi on November 7, 2001 4:45:11 PM
Heh, I guess you''re not a fan of old school simulation games where you have to slowly build up the space station piece by piece.

quote:so maybe you have to alter the orbit of the space station to collide with the satellite.

Just how is this suppose to be implemented ? puzzles ?

I''m bounded to help S&S with Gimme Those Wings so there won''t be any brain juices left for another adventure game in my head, sorry. Unless... how about a modified Contra space clone ? Muhahahaha!!
quote:Original post by Mooglez
Heh, I guess you''re not a fan of old school simulation games where you have to slowly build up the space station piece by piece.

Take too long to do anything really fun (read: blow things up).

quote:Just how is this suppose to be implemented ? puzzles ?

Ground control transmits an encrypted series of coordinates, which you store in your SuperSpy™ Limited Edition SpyFone® Plus and simply upload to a command console (finding one and gaining access will then be the puzzle).

quote:how about a modified Contra space clone ? Muhahahaha!!

Remember the corridor levels in Contra? Know why there was only one? (Hint: boring repetition). Other than that, I love and would support anything Contra.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement