How do work at home game developer jobs work

Started by
8 comments, last by DerekL 9 years, 7 months ago
Do you connect to a server with all the game code so you can edit it?
How does it all work so you develop the game from home with others?
I am wondering as my friend is looking for a job as a developer but he doesn't know how it works
Advertisement

It's very rare to get a work-at-home job as a game developer. Your friend needs to look for a work-at-the-office job (he needs to live near game companies).

He also needs a solid portfolio and resume.

Tell him to read:

http://sloperama.com/advice/m84.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The times I've seen work at home game developers in the professional arena are:

1) Startups who don't have a choice and indeed may not have an office in the first place

2) Situations where a current high level employee decides to relocate and the company really, really values that engineer

3) People who have a lot (think 20 years) of industry experience and are highly valued. These are usually contract positions, not full time

4) Other, misc short term contracting deals - usually through industry experience and strong contacts

You do NOT just go out and get a remote job.

That said, usually VPN and the necessary equipment at home solves the problem you asked about nicely.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
What Promit said^
I was going say that this only occurs with companies too cheap to hire real employees, or employees that are experienced enough for people to trust them.

And yep, when using a VPN, it's exaclt the same as if your PC is connected to their internal LAN (but slower).

Smaller companies who don't have a physical office at all, might instead rent a server in the cloud. In this case you'd probably connect to their file-sharing / version-repository servers directly via the net.

Do you connect to a server with all the game code so you can edit it?

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by that, but it's a good idea to use some kind of repository with version control (SVN, GIT, etc). With those things you connect to a server to download the latest changes, make changes on your PC and submit them, so other developers can connect to that server, download the updates, and so on...

What I mean is, usually you don't connect on a remote way and edit the code directly on the remote PC and on the game's code, you edit a copy and update the game's code with your working code.

Anyway, that's not something you only do when working from home, working in an office should be exactly the same in that aspect, version control has a lot of advantages other than sharing the code.

Do you mean a formal "job", or working as a freelancer from home though?

I've been freelancing for a while, which allows me to work for home for clients.

Parameters vary from client to client though.

I'd imagine a remote job works similarly, but in the context of an employer/employee relationship. I'd imagine they are extremely hard to come by and generally the result of a pre-existing (fruitful) relationship with an employer.

I can see myself barging into the VP's office and explaining my situation in such a way that calls for "work from home" and I can see this going either way:

- "This is not the company's policy" (Polite "NO")

- "Let's see how that could work" (Interested in making an exception, but needs a gain in exchange)

1) Startups who don't have a choice and indeed may not have an office in the first place

I was this when I first started with my present employer. But I eventually had to move because it becomes too hard to manage a lot of people when you can't physically talk to them. I already had experience and shipped games when I was hired though. It is going to be pretty hard to find a at home job if you don't fall somewhere on Promit's list.

We used SVN for all code/design docs/art and Skype for communication. Logging in to servers was white listed to a few IPs (and needed a private key) to prevent random people from getting in.

I work for a company that is about 80% globally distributed. I manage a team that consists of 3 engineers in Europe and 3 across North America (thankfully the guy in Perth Australia moved to another team, that was tough). We use a DVCS for code, IRC email and Google hangouts for communication, and a VPN for access to private networks (private DVCS servers, cloud-based builders and QA servers, and various other resources). It's all off-the-shelf standard stuff.

It's a good life if you can get it.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Bregman: You guys make games?

If you live somewhere where your standard of living costs are lower you can find a remote job easier(ex. russia, ukarain, greece) we have about 8 full time employees from these parts of the world. But as for working at a games company you kinda need to be there as it makes it easier on the whole team when you can communicate better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement