Sign in to follow this  
.chicken

c++ Performance boost needed

Hello again. I'm still working on a tool for solving game theory solutions. I'm not yet happy with the performance though and since I'm kinda inexperienced, I believe there's still alot I could improve.

So basically what my program does, is

a) computing expected payouts for strategy A vs B

b) setting As strategy to maximally exploit Bs stategy

c) do the same thing for b vs a

d) repeat

I have a vector<vector<floats>> of the size 1326*(1326/2), which save the expected win% of any hand vs any hand. The code for getting that % is:

/* equities is the vector<vector<float>> */
inline equity getEquity(startingHand hero, startingHand villain) const {
	if (hero > villain)
		return 1.0f - equities[villain][hero-villain];
	else
		return equities[hero][villain-hero];
}

My question is: is the vector slowing my program down here, compared to using a simple array? I read somewhere, that the [] operator of the vector is defined as inline, and when it's called too often (fe. inside a loop), the compiler doesn't inline it and thus the access is slowed down. Is that right? I'm calling that function from inside a 0..1326 loop.

While talking about inlines. Does it make sense to use DEFINE macros somewhere to get a speedboost?

Ok, next question. I had the following piece of code:

// kNumHands = 1326
else { // Showdown
		EV pot = currDecPt->getPlayerCIP(hero) + currDecPt->getPlayerCIP(villain);
		EV remStack = tree->getEffStack() - currDecPt->getPlayerCIP(hero);
		for (int hand = 0; hand < kNumHands; hand++) {
                        // getMostRecentRangeOf would traverse the tree upwards and find the most recent Range of villain.
                        // it returned a copy of that range though (thus copying and array of 1326floats)
			EVs[hero][iDecPt][hand] = pot*(1.0f - getMostRecentRangeOf(villain, iDecPt).getEquityVsHand(hand, currDecPt->eArray)) + remStack;
			if (finish)
				CFs[hero][iDecPt][hand] = (EVs[hero][iDecPt][hand] - remStack) / pot;
		}
	}

I changed the code to:

else { // Showdown
		const Range *r = getMostRecentRangeOf(villain, iDecPt);
		EV pot = currDecPt->getPlayerCIP(hero) + currDecPt->getPlayerCIP(villain);
		EV remStack = tree->getEffStack() - currDecPt->getPlayerCIP(hero);
			EVs[hero][iDecPt][hand] = pot*(1.0f - r->getEquityVsHand(hand, currDecPt->eArray)) + remStack;
			if (finish)
		}
	}

Cause I took the getMostRecentRangeOf-function out of the loop and didn't return a copy but a ptr, I expected a huge speed boost. But when running with printing the std::clock() difference, it showed no speed boost at all. Shouldn't pointers be alot quicker?

Next stop, "getEquityVsHand":

/**
* Returns the Equity of heroHand vs. villainRange on board - using an EquityArray.
*/
float Range::getEquityVsHand(startingHand villain, const EquityArray *ea) const {
	equity eq = 0.0f; frequency count = 0.0f;
	/* copy Villains Range */
        // handRange is an Array of 1326floats
	handRange temp_freqs;
	std::copy(std::begin(frequencies), std::end(frequencies), std::begin(temp_freqs));

// getCardFromHand - converts the starting hand, represented as an int to two ints, representing two single cards
	card deadcards[7] = { getCardFromHand(villain, 0), getCardFromHand(villain, 1), ea->board[0], ea->board[1], ea->board[2], ea->board[3], ea->board[4] };
        // setHandsWithConflicts iterates over the handRange and deadcards.
        // If they are the same, the frequency of the hand is set to 0.
	setHandsWithConflicts(temp_freqs, deadcards, 7, 0.0f);

for (int i = 0; i < kNumHands; i++) {
		if (temp_freqs[i] == 0.0f)
			continue;
		count += temp_freqs[i];
		eq += ea->getEquity(i, villain) * temp_freqs[i];
	}
	return eq / count;
}

So this is a little complicated. I thought copying the handRange-array would take alot of performance. So I got rid of all the copying stuff and got the following:

float Range::getEquityVsHand(startingHand villainHand, const EquityArray *ea) const {
	equity eq = 0.0f; frequency count = 0.0f;

for (int i = 0; i < kNumHands; i++) {
		if (frequencies[i] == 0.0f 
                    || handConflictsBoard(ea->board, hand) || handConflictsHand(hand, villainHand))
			continue;
		count += frequencies[i];
		eq += ea->getEquity(i, villain) * frequencies[i];
	}
	return eq / count;
}

So, what handConflictsBoard and handConflictsHand do, is iterate over the given hands and look up if they conflict in a precomputed std::vector<std::vector<bool>>. So basically the same thing that happened in "setHandsWithConflicts", I just don't have to copy the frequencies first. Now again, I expected a nice boost of performance, but instead, the performance dropped drastically and slowed down by 300%.

Since I don't wanne annoy you guys with anymore code, that's it for now. Enlighten me please, guys ;)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. As I said above, I'm computing the best strategy for A, then the best response for B, again for A and so on and so forth. Shouldn't it be possible two have two threads running parallel, one starts to compute A vs B, the other one B vs A. Each one obv has to wait for the other one to finish, before continuing. Ofcourse one player would then be "one step behind", but since the solution is converging against an equilibrium, it should work anyway, right?

Shouldn't that give an immense speed boost?

Edited by .chicken

I am not sure I am answering every question, but I'll answer a few.

vector<vector<something>> will require two indirections, while something[1326][1326] would only require a bit of arithmetic and one memory access. That may indeed be faster, although using twice as much memory might negate any improvement.

Macros should not provide any boost these days. Compilers are pretty good at inlining what can be beneficially inlined.

Calling `getMostRecentRangeOf(villain, iDecPt)' outside the loop is the type of optimization that the compiler could be doing, if it can determine that the answer won't change. That would explain why you don't see an improvement.

In your last code transformation, you don't make a copy of the frequencies, but you also added this: "|| handConflictsBoard(ea->board, hand) || handConflictsHand(hand, villainHand)" to the loop. So you are saving some initialization time, but you are making the loop more expensive. If `kNumHands' is large enough, the new code will end up being slower.

1. Yes, operator[] is a little slower, especially if you have exceptions/etc turned on; it checks whether range is valid, etc. However your loop isn't big enough to make a any noticeable difference.
  2. std::clock() has horrible accuracy. Even if there is performance difference you won't notice until it's huge or it'll round wrong way giving invalid data, ex. execution time can increase by 1% by rounding will change from 16ms to 32ms. Pointers aren't "faster" or "slower", however when misused they definitely can be slower because of cache misses.
  3. I have suspicions that your handConflictsBoard() function passes values instead of references, thus copying a lot of data when it's not necessary which is likely source of your slowdown.

?If you want to make your code faster first you need to figure which part is the slowest and then see how you can improve it. Optimizing random code parts isn't likely to give significant difference.

Yes, operator[] is a little slower, especially if you have exceptions/etc turned on; it checks whether range is valid, etc. However your loop isn't big enough to make a any noticeable difference.

Well the thing is, I'm iterating over a large tree (few hundred items) and then for each node, I loop over 1326hands. When I'm reaching a so called "Showdown"-node, I'm iterating over these hands and looking up their equity in a 1326*(1326/2)vector of floats for EVERY single of those hands. So might this add up, and using arrays is fast?

vector> will require two indirections, while something[1326][1326] would only require a bit of arithmetic and one memory access. That may indeed be faster, although using twice as much memory might negate any improvement.

I'd like to do that, but since I have to create alot of these arrays, I'll get bad_allocs too quickly. Thus, sacrificing memory and doubling the amount of data is not an option. I'd have to somehow create those arrays dynamically.

std::clock() has horrible accuracy. Even if there is performance difference you won't notice until it's huge or it'll round wrong way giving invalid data, ex. execution time can increase by 1% by rounding will change from 16ms to 32ms. Pointers aren't "faster" or "slower", however when misused they definitely can be slower because of cache misses.

What can I use to get a more precise info about my performance?

I have suspicions that your handConflictsBoard() function passes values instead of references, thus copying a lot of data when it's not necessary which is likely source of your slowdown.

I'll check that out, but all I'm passing are small arrays of integers, so copying them shouldn't be a big deal?

Have you profiled your program to see what the slow spots actually are?

As mentioned, I used std::clock() so far, and tried to find slow spots.

Thanks so far.

Edited by .chicken

1. Yes, operator[] is a little slower, especially if you have exceptions/etc turned on; it checks whether range is valid, etc. However your loop isn't big enough to make a any noticeable difference

operator[] does not does not do bounds checking on a std::vector, the at(size_t) member function does do bounds checking and will throw an out_of_range exception. As for it not being inlined. As for inlining as asked by OP, this would vary from compiler to compiler. operator[] is a trivial function and I doubt the fact it is in a loop would prevent it being inlined. You would have to check the assembly code.

Also it's worth repeating what has already been said, when you are really aiming for performance gains a good profiling tool is an absolute must!

My question is: is the vector slowing my program down here, compared to using a simple array? I read somewhere, that the [] operator of the vector is defined as inline, and when it's called too often (fe. inside a loop), the compiler doesn't inline it and thus the access is slowed down. Is that right? I'm calling that function from inside a 0..1326 loop.

Vector is *almost* the same performance as a pure array - in release/optimized mode (debug mode at least in visual studio is horrible - vector can slow you down from 1000 to 8 FPS if you are not careful), since there happens almost no range checks, and most calls are inlined/optimized out.

I'm suprised operator[] is mentioned as being slow - actually, [] is faster than at() because [] does not perform range checks, at least for map-classes - at map, .at() will check if the index is valid, whereas [] will return a valid element eigther way, if the key didn't exist before, it will insert it. I assume it will behave similarily for vector too.

Anyways, for static arrays (int variables[256]), vector is quaranteed to be slower, since it requires at least an additional redirection. Don't use a vector here, eigther stick with pure arrays or use std::array, which is a new std container class for static arrays - vector is dynamic and therefore has certain overhead that doesn't exists for static arrays.

http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy

I don't know if it's up to "industry standards" but it is dead simple to use and gives meaningful data.

Ok, since this is supposed to be "dead simple" ill try and stick to that first. Thank you all so far.

Ok, this really looks kinda useful ;)

Just a quick question:

cfa385d45efaae88e6f493b798171814.png

This means, that the upper return took 2.36seconds total during the profiling? And the 1.84s are what? An average?

Edited by .chicken

Thanks smile.png

Ok, so I got the trial of the Intel VTune Amplifier now. I checked out the documentation but I don't really feel like I'm getting a better idea of where my code slows down...

09f458d8eb2435a967f566c53deb16d2.png

Why does summing up the values take so much time fe.?

So this probably means that I should somehow improve these two functions?

e716f2ef88c65d79fa804756b395ffc7.png

b846eef24452a97082ef05171a1ebb2e.png

75200b1142bad0c865dd6f8d4403c882.png

I'm not sure why this last line is so slow, either. All "getHandFromCards" does, is looking up an int in a precomputed array.

Edited by .chicken

I'm not sure why this last line is so slow, either. All "getHandFromCards" does, is looking up an int in a precomputed array.

The profiler isn't just telling you things are slow. It's telling you were all the time was spent.  What it is telling you is that 5% of the samples ended up on that line, and that amounted to 8s of real execution time.  You have only two things to look at:

1) Why is that line getting called so much.  This is the most likely problem.  The objective of good optimization usually isn't fixing why lines are slow but fixing why lines are called so often.  Try to pick a better algorithm or storage container for your use case and you can usually improve performance.

2) Why is this line so slow.  But sometimes the line really is just slow. In this case, if it really is as simple as a lookup, the lookup table is probably too big to fit in the cache reasonably along side the rest of your data.  If the profiler has a cache hit view you'd be able to see this.

Phew ok, alot to answer, I'll try my best.

The objective of good optimization usually isn't fixing why lines are slow but fixing why lines are called so often. Try to pick a better algorithm or storage container for your use case and you can usually improve performance.

I will think about that, but I'm not really sure there is another way than bruteforce. Remember, I'm trying to solve theoretical model games, and once the rules become more complex, it's almost impossible to solve the game by solving equations. Instead I'm just looking at every Decision Point with every hand (this is why the loops get so large) and try to find the best response.

the lookup table is probably too big to fit in the cache

This sounds interesting. My tables are computed like this:

/* 1326 * 1326. True if card conflicts with hand. */
	static std::vector<std::vector<bool>> fillCardConflictsHand() {
		std::vector<std::vector<bool>> result;
		for (int card = 0; card < kNumCards; card++) {
			result.push_back(std::vector<bool>());
				if (handsToCardArray[hand].first == card || handsToCardArray[hand].second == card)
					result[card].push_back(true);
				else
					result[card].push_back(false);
			}
		}
		return result;
	}
	static std::vector<std::vector<bool>> cardConflictsHand = fillCardConflictsHand();

Then all I'm doing ist:

inline bool Poker::handConflictsCard(startingHand h, card c) {
		if (c < kNumCards)
			return cardConflictsHand[c][h];
		else
			return false;
	}

First, is that the release build or the debug build?

It's the release build.

How big is kNumHands?

kNumHands is 1326. I believe it does have to be that large, because for every hand a player CAN have, I need the frequency (float) with which he holds that hand. While we're talking about floats. I could give up a little precision and use bytes to represent a percentage from 0to100 instead, but that has nothing to do with my performance, does it?

what is the code behind handRange::operator[](int) ?

handRange is a simple typedef.

typedef int card; /* 0..51 */
	typedef int rank; /* 0..12 */
	typedef int suit; /* 0..3 */
	typedef int startingHand; /* 0..1325 */
	typedef card holdemBoard[kBoardLength]; // numerical representation
	typedef float equity;
	typedef float EV;
	typedef float frequency;
	typedef float chips;
	typedef frequency handRange[kNumHands];

Once I started the project, I felt this would give me a better idea of what I'm doing. I know regret that a little bit, but I don't think it has to do with performance?

unless perhaps your function is not returning a float and the result needs to be converted.

Thats not the case here, but do type conversion take a lot of time?

In the second image I note that the offending 25% line has got (1) a dereference or arrow operator on a class, (2) a function call with parameters, (3) an array index or operator[] on an unspecified class, (4) a multiply of unknown types possibly resulting in a class function, and (5) a += operator on a class.

The function is defined like the following:

class EquityArray {
public:
	EquityArray(holdemBoard board_);

/**
	* Returns the equity of hero vs. villain on the equity array's board.
	* It's much faster than the the getEquityVsHand function, and should such be used whenever possible.
	*/
	inline equity getEquity(startingHand hero, startingHand villain) const {
		if (hero > villain)
			return 1.0f - equities[villain][hero-villain];
		else
			return equities[hero][villain-hero];
	}
private:
	std::vector< std::vector< equity >> equities;

The vector<vector<equity(float)>> here is precomputed. It gets saved locally and loaded once the Object is created (this is before all the computations are done, I'm then just passing const pointers of it). The parameters are copied, but both of them are ints, so I don't think thats a big deal?

For the third image I see (1) an operator[](int) that is being assigned a value, (2) a function with two paramters, and (3) an assignment operator, inside (4) a nested loop.

I showed you my handRange typedef. Get cardFromHands is again looking up an integer between 0..51 in a table with 1326 entries.

Thanks alot, already guys. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Edit: Just to give you a better idea. The tree I'm currently working on has ~750nodes. 10Iterations, each doing..

1) setting A's best strategy

2) setting B's best strategy

..take around 55seconds to complete.

Edited by .chicken

Okay.

Next up, promotion from int from float can be much faster. The modern PC processor can handle potentially up to 3 floating point operations at once, but some of the execution ports can handle multiple integer operations at once, allowing the 3 ALU ports to handle up to 9 integer operations per cycle. That means not only are the operations faster, but more of them get done in parallel.  If you really don't need floating point, don't use it.

For type conversion cost questions, they can take some time depending on the source and destination type. Some conversions are free since they are nothing more than syntactic sugar (converting a 32-bit value to a differently named 32-bit value), others take a tiny bit of work (float to int) and still others are potentially quite complex, such as conversions between different classes. 

Let's look at these few chunks you have shown us:

// Showdown

for ( 0 .. 1326 ) {
            EVs[hero][iDecPt][hand] = pot*(1.0f - getMostRecentRangeOf(villain, iDecPt).getEquityVsHand(hand, currDecPt->eArray)) + remStack;
            if (finish)
        }
    }

getEquityVsHand(...) {  // called 1326 times in your loop above

for( int i=0; i<1326; i++) {

count += array lookup // called 1.75 million times

eq += dereference, array lookup, array lookup, array lookup, float multiply,  // called 1.75 million times

So that's probably on the order of 10 million cache misses each time you run your test for showdown.

From your descriptions, those functions are contained within still other loops you didn't give the code for, giving another multiple-orders-of-magnitude leap. So maybe we're looking at several hundred million or tens of billions of times through that innermost loop, we can't tell without seeing all the code.

See if you can remove some of those deeply nested loops. Any time you reach 3-deep loops -- especially non-linear memory traversal loops-- you are asking for trouble. 

One way to remove that kind of deeply nested loop is to exchange time with space.

This seems like something you could precompute with a lookup table. Your "equity" system has about 2 million entries, you can build a flat array of values and look up the entry at ((villain*kNumHands)+hero). Build the array once and be done with it. No need to recompute every time.

This of course assumes you actually want your computer opponent to play perfectly. Humans prefer to win occasionally, so perfect AIs are discouraged.

Reserve. Reserve. Reserve.  You know the sizes of your results, so reserve.

result.reserve(kNumCards);
  result.back().reserve(kNumHands);

This will avoid a lot of allocation/copy that is happening behind the scenes, and will help improve your write speed.

Edited by KulSeran

Ok, so I managed to improve speed ALOT thanks to some of your suggestions.

Before the program took around ~7second/iteration, now it takes around 2 and the higher the iteration becomes, the less time it takes, so that for 200iterations it just needed ~200seconds.

I did the following:

My EquityArrays hold the equity of any given hand vs any other given hand on a specific board. What took alot of time were cardremoval effects, so now, in addition to the equities, the EArrays also hold vectors with all hands that conflict with the board and all hands that dont.

So when checking for cardremoval, I can now just iterate over the set of cards that are possible on given board. (hope this makes sense)

In addition to that, in my Range class, which holds frequencies for every single poker starting hand, I know keep track of the total sum of all frequencies. Now when I want to know the sum of hands that dont conflict with the board, instead of iterating over all 1326 starting hands, combined with the new EArray functionality, I just have to iterate over conflicting hands and substract them from the stored total sum of all frequencies. (hope this makes sense as well, a bit tough to explain without going into too much detail)

Last but not least, I give up a little precision on my equity calculations. The function getEquityVsHand iterated over all hands in a Range(1326), added up their equities and averaged them. Now I'm discarding all hands which are in the range with a frequency <1% and that way I can skip alot of the loops (especially in later iterations, when most of the frequencies have either converged against a very high or a very low value).

What still interests me is if I might be possible to get additional speed by removing floats. I DO need them, but only for displaying relevant information later, so then I could just convert the integers (or bytes? which is better?) back to floats. Do you think this will have a significant impact on the overall speed?

Thank you so much already!

Reserve. Reserve. Reserve.  You know the sizes of your results, so reserve.

result.reserve(kNumCards);
  result.back().reserve(kNumHands);

This will avoid a lot of allocation/copy that is happening behind the scenes, and will help improve your write speed.

So, thi is a static method and only called once, at the start of the program. I dont care too much how slow that is, I'll fix it though obviously. But does it matter for later performanece of my program? Like, does the data lie in the memory more organized or something like that, so that the acccess is quicker?

Oh and what do you think about using two thread working parallel? My code looks like this:

/*** FICTICIOUS PLAY ***/
void StrategyPair::equilibrize(bool finish) {
        /* Couldnt I split this spart into a seperate thread and then work both strats simultaniously? */
        /* Part A */
	setMaxExploitEVs(SB, BB, finish);
	std::map<int, Range> sbMaxEVStrat = getMaxEVStrat(SB);
	updateRanges(SB, sbMaxEVStrat, totalIterationsDone);
        /* Part B */
	setMaxExploitEVs(BB, SB, finish);
	std::map<int, Range> bbMaxEVStrat = getMaxEVStrat(BB);
	updateRanges(BB, bbMaxEVStrat, totalIterationsDone);

totalIterationsDone++;
}

Could I expect a double speedboost with that?

Edited by .chicken

kNumHands is 1326. I believe it does have to be that large, because for every hand a player CAN have, I need the frequency (float) with which he holds that hand. While we're talking about floats. I could give up a little precision and use bytes to represent a percentage from 0to100 instead, but that has nothing to do with my performance, does it?

Using bytes instead of floats may help performance mainly because it makes the table 4 times smaller. Integer operations are also faster than floating point, but when you're using a lot of memory, that's not your bottleneck.

Using bytes instead of floats may help performance mainly because it makes the table 4 times smaller. Integer operations are also faster than floating point, but when you're using a lot of memory, that's not your bottleneck.

So, just to let me understand how this works. The problem of using alot of memory, is that it's split up over more caches and when I'm trying to access that memory, my program first has to search for where the data lies? So when I'm using 4times smaller data, the program should be able to find it ~4timmes as fast and thus speeding up all the array accesses by a factor of ~4?

Edit: would this still be an improvement, even tho I would have to convert the bytes to floats every time i access them? When I need the equity, saved in a byte, I would return it as float(value/255). Is that too slow?

Edited by .chicken

That's not really how it works... the details are numerous and it's late so I won't try typing up a full explanation here, but try some web searches on "how memory caching works" to get a basic overview.

If you want the full rundown, this doc is a little dated but still fundamentally accurate.

Ok thanks, I read a little bit about it and think there are a few ways to improve. This question still remains tho:

would this still be an improvement, even tho I would have to convert the bytes to floats every time i access them? When I need the equity, saved in a byte, I would return it as float(value/255). Is that too slow?

Now I encountered another weird phenomenon. There are situations where I initalize both players strategies with a range containing only the top 25% of alls pokerhands f.e.

So instead of 1326 hands, the ranges only contain 1/4 of that. What I did now, was that when I initialize my strategies, I create two vectors<startingHand> only containing those hands which are played with a nonzero frequency (the top25% of hands in this example). Now instead of iterating over ALL hands when finding my best strat, I did something like this:

std::map<PlayerType, std::vector<startingHand>> rangeHands;

for(int i=0; i < rangeHands[playerA].size(); i++) {
      // now instead of "i" representing the hand, I use "rangeHands[playerA][i]"
      //e.g.
     EV[playerA][DecisionPt1][rangeHands[playerA][i]] = equity(rangeHands[playerA][i]) * pot;
}

I expected this to be alot quicker than iterating over all hands for the given 25% ranges. Indeed it was.

Previously:

1ca99719c30fdf28af264dc2cc17f6f1.png

After improvement:

d5fb3d8bb01b533f4c5b40a19caf541e.png

What I also expected was, that when running the full 100% ranges again, this would most likely be slower, or at least the same speed, since I always had to look up the startingHand in the vector first. But I checked that again, and even with full ranges, this was quicker:

Without improvement:

0d503e2abcb04dfd4836e5ac9b17f710.png

With improvement (meaning iterating over the vector<startingHand>):

f4db4dbb7fe193ec2bc47e845bc9eb0b.png

How is that possible?