Wanting to start a new game/company where do I start?

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 7 months ago

Hey everyone,

Background:

So myself and my friend are looking to create a console game. I am getting my degree in software engineering and my buddy is getting another degree in game development. We are wanting to make a FPS and have a great idea (or so we think) of the story line. I have "hired" my friend who is an artist to give us some detail drawings of what we want our character to look and feel like. We both started to use blender to to create 3D models and wanting to get more experience in that side of the game development world.

Question:

Here is where I am lost or more so impatient. I am wanting to know is there anything that can be done on the side that will help us later on. For example we are having the characters concept art created, I am writing the story line, my buddy is honing in his skills with blender, but for some reason I feel like I can be doing more. Any suggestions on what I can be doing to better the game or even better the company would be great.

Thank you for your time.

-Jacob

Advertisement

Wanting to start a new game/company
what I can be doing to better the game or even better the company would be great.

You want to start a company? That's definitely not a For Beginner Programmers question. That's a Business/Law question, so I'm moving this to Business/Law.

Read these:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article58.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Oh sorry thank your for directing me into the right forum.

I wouldn't bother with a company until you're close to shipping a product.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

What you need to remember is that a "company" isn't the same as a "team". "Company" implies legal issues, taxes, and whatnots. "Team" on the other hand, just consists of you and your teammates working together. You could, of course, call your team "Something Company" or "Company of Something" or "Something Inc." but if it's not a legal entity, it's still a "team", not yet a "company". I personally think it's better for you to stay as a "team" starting up, so you don't have to worry about taxes and legalities, unless of course you have a good enough reason to actually start a company.

Please note that I'm using the terms "team" and "company" loosely here. I hope you can still get my point.

I personally think it's better for you to stay as a "team" starting up, so you don't have to worry about taxes and legalities

One legality that should never be overlooked is the collaboration agreement. If the entity is not going to make money, then taxes are a non-issue. But who owns what, and what each party's responsibilities and expectations are, should be set forth in writing at the outset.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement