Starting out

Started by
0 comments, last by Jan2go 9 years, 7 months ago

Hello,

I'm new to these forums and I have a few questions and programming and development of a game. just so you know, im not s total noob to making games. I have a small amount of knowledge of the unity game engine and blender game engine. At school im learning how to do some basic programming with python and im reading a book on the basics of game programming with c++

With that in mind, here are my questions:

1) Am I learning a good language to start out?

2) I plan on starting with some code for some basic games like Tetris etc.. Will I need to know how to create graphics and sound?

3) Finally, I plant to give a lot of commitment to this. I have a passion to be a game dev. if I plan in the future to make my own games, will I have to learn

how to make game engines, sound, texturing etc...?

All help is great and much appreciated.

Advertisement

1) Am I learning a good language to start out?

C++ can be quite hard to learn if you have no prior programming experience. Personally, I started with C# and later on switch to C++.

2) I plan on starting with some code for some basic games like Tetris etc.. Will I need to know how to create graphics and sound?

For simple games you don't need to make your own graphics and/or sound. There are plenty of free resources on the internet that you can use.

3) Finally, I plant to give a lot of commitment to this. I have a passion to be a game dev. if I plan in the future to make my own games, will I have to learn how to make game engines, sound, texturing etc...?

It depends on what you want to do. If you have specific requirements for your engine, art, sound etc. you might need to do it yourself (find find someone who can help you out).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement