• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Desperado

Cache coherence and containers

This topic is 1422 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hellof folks, following question:

Say, I have a vector and a map that references entries in this vector:

std::map< int* > mymap;

std::vector< int > myvector;

mymap.insert( &vector[0] ); ...
mymap.insert( &vector );

Now I write an algorithm that walks through the map, dereferences the pointers and processes the elements.

Can I get a speed improvement through cache coherency by making sure the vector and the map have the same sorting criterion so elements are accessed in the same order in the map and the vector when I walk through the map?

Regards

Advertisement

We still need more information about how you are using the map to give you a helpful answer.

Do you really need to put the pointers to the vector elements in the map? You are trying to setup the map so that you can iterate over to give the same sequence as the vector. In doing this, you propose to store a pointer to each element, this means that you need to do a pointer dereference for every element in the vector. Can you not simply iterate over the vector and then the map or vice versa? Can the elements in the map not be added to the vector?

You mention cache coherence so I'm assuming this is for performance purposes? Have you got a performance problem that needs resolving? Have you used a profiler to ensure you are 'optimising' the correct part of your program?

This was just for example. The actual map looks somewhat like this:

std::map< double, SomeStructIMade* > mymap;

std::vector< SomeStructIMade > myvector;

I need the sorting and fast insertion/deletion from the map, that's why I use it. I iterate over the values in the map and access the pointers from that and during walkthrough I may insert new key/value pairs into the map.

Now I write an algorithm that walks through the map, dereferences the pointers and processes the elements.
Can I get a speed improvement through cache coherency

Yes, by getting rid of std::map and std::set entirely. Walking the vector in strictly-increasing order is better, sure, but you're still going to be walking the absolutely atrocious std::map.

While it's not a drop-in replacement for every situation, consider using Boost's flat_map instead of std::map (same algorithmic complexity, much faster lookup and iteration in practice due to its cache-friendly contiguous layout, and only marginally slower insert/delete if your data set is small and your keys/values are trivially copyable).

Also, just profile your results and find out if something is faster or not. Even if you get an answer here there's a good chance it's complete and utter nonsense (including this one) given how contextually-dependent anything performance-related is.

Regardless of whether or not you end up with that solution, storing pointers (or iterators) to anything in an std::vector is a Bad Idea, since modifying the vector could potentially invalidate some (or all) of them. If you absolutely need to indirectly reference elements in an vector, use indices instead. That's not a perfect solution either though, since you'd still need to manually fix them up if elements are inserted to or removed from the middle of the vector, so you should avoid this approach if you can.

Edited by Zipster

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!