Sign in to follow this  
slicer4ever

The Week of awesome II - The competition Thread!

slicer4ever    6760
Note: for administrative/rules questions or information, see this thread This thread is for actual contest updates and submissions, all submissions should be linked to in this thread.

The competition has begun!!!! This years theme is:

The toys are alive!
This is all i will say about the theme, I will leave it upto you to creatively incorporate it into your game.

To submit a game, just post it to this thread. Don't worry if you're not on the interested or team lists in the administration thread; anyone is welcome to post a game during the competition (posting a game in the thread is all you need to do to officially enter into the competition). I highly encourage participants to post their games here at least a few days before the competition ends and for GDNet users to download these games, test them out, and give feedback (especially if there are bugs or crashes). You can resubmit/update your game during the competition with updates/fixes/changes/whatever. Only your latest/most recent entry will be judged (but must be submitted before the competition ends). See the administration thread for a full list of rules.

Good luck to all our competitors! Edited by slicer4ever

Waterlimon    4398

Im expecting someone to make a game about undead toys AKA zombies. Though if you think about it, toys arent really dead in their normal state so maybe its just some zombie dolls that you have to throw at your buddies to get some action.

Endurion    5407

I'm going the simple way, a sort of build/complete the level to allow some units to reach their MacGuffin.

Tiles are made of building blocks, hence the name Building Blocks.

Took way too much time to create an editor for arbitrary block sizes, but now it works. This should help churning out levels way faster.

[attachment=23794:shot1.png]

dmatter    4821

I'm going the simple way, a sort of build/complete the level to allow some units to reach their MacGuffin.

Err wow, "build the level" type gameplay is exactly the kind of idea I've been knocking about with too! I haven't decided if it's what I want to commit to yet though, the animation requirements are all that's concerning me right now.

Thaumaturge    3824

Well, as detailed in my "day 1" blog post, I have an initial idea to work on! Something dark and horrific (if I do my job well, at least). ^_^

Im expecting someone to make a game about undead toys AKA zombies.

Well, not quite undead toys as much as undead children controlling toys... ;)

(But no zombies.)

Thaumaturge    3824

A quick question, if I may: How dark a tone are we allowed to take? I took a quick look at the rules, and didn't see any restrictions on content (although I presume that the site rules apply, which likely impose at least some restrictions), but feel that I should ask to be on the safe side...

slicer4ever    6760

A quick question, if I may: How dark a tone are we allowed to take? I took a quick look at the rules, and didn't see any restrictions on content (although I presume that the site rules apply, which likely impose at least some restrictions), but feel that I should ask to be on the safe side...

I don't see any reason it can't be as dark as you like, but just have a bit of sense on when you think it might be going to far.

too everyone that's posted, your journals/updates are looking great! glad to see the theme is working out for many of you=-) Edited by slicer4ever

dmatter    4821

It's more of less the end of day 1 for me, so here's a screenshot of my progress so far...

[attachment=23810:day1.png]

All of these are static sprites at the moment, but the level is being loaded from a level file.

My game idea so far (evolving as I go, no doubt) is along the lines of adding jumps and blocks to forge a path for the toys through the level.

This represents a few hours of work on my part, getting the core code infrastructure off the ground always takes ages and there's still more to do!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get box2d integrated for some simple gravity and collision detection.