• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What GUI libraries should I use?

This topic is 1243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My goal is to make a plethora of small games (tic tac toe, pong, tetris, small clone of super mario, ect) slowly working my way up to bigger games (have a small game engine with all the different things coded up for the games over time). However I notice there are a ton of 3rd party libraries for C++. I would like to use a library that works very well with Linux (Ubuntu) along with Windows since I have both platforms. Also I would like to avoid libraries that would remind you or me of Swing for Java (it was awful to use in college).

Advertisement
I use Qt for the UI professionally. It's not a game but it's a QML UI rendered over a game-comparable 3D scene. Personally I would not use it for something like an FPS but I would consider it reasonable for something heavy in UI (like for example strategy games which would be my area of interest).

It should also be noted that the new upcoming Qt 5.4 should have support for rendering the UI directly into framebuffers without any visible window (I believe integration into (game)-engines was explicitely mentioned), although I haven't been able to test it yet.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement