To Day I had to Resort To a FileBack Up

Started by
19 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 6 months ago

Hi all.

What would cause a file a .xFile to fail after its been opening and working for the last 6 years, Ive not touched this file for about 5 years.

And all of a sudden fails in my app and no other mesh viewer can open it to.

I question Fraps. that was the only thing Ive download in the past month(year). Afer putting fraps on my PC the hard drives been running none stop, my router

light are flashing like some one is doing stuff.

Vc++ been deleating code I saw it do it I clicked on a line of code and gone no undo what.

Sounds like I need to hand my PC over to the FBI to anilise it. Hackers should be put aganst a wall and shot.

Any one else think this is a attack on my game.

been looking stuff up is this bad if SO what should I do there doing things to my app this is no normal hack.

DeathToTheHackers.jpg?psid=1

Advertisement

Or maybe your hard drive is just dying. You know, just a thought.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Or maybe your hard drive is just dying. You know, just a thought.

Come on... a hard drive from a respected manufacturer malfunctioning after years of faithful operation? That's ridiculous! It's far more likely to be Martian space-hackers. Better call the FBI and/or the MIB. tongue.png

Seriously, those IP addresses you're worried about (the 74.125.237.* ones) are Google's public frontend servers. Something on your machine is connecting to Google.com. It's probably your Web browser. smile.png

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Bit rot.

Hard drives (and all other forms of storage and memory) are constantly suffering errors, as a natural result of pushing the physical boundaries of what electrons can do. All drives, optical media, etc feature parity correction that attempts to detect and correct these errors. Parity can fail, though, and it's not always possible to figure out which bit is bad or what to do about it. These problems can be exacerbated by a variety of environmental factors, as well as bugs in the underlying platform. Your hard drive has hardware and software components. So does the motherboard. These can all fail in highly creative, undetectable ways. As a hard drive begins to fail, the uncorrectable error rate can spike, and checking SMART may be a good idea. Some file systems, notably ZFS, BtrFS, and ReFS are designed to handle these problems in more robust ways.

Alternatively, any random component (hardware or software) of your system may be malfunctioning, or you may have some type of malware. Good luck finding out what the source of the problem is.

Fraps did not break your computer.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

When my first harddrive died, I expierienced exactly what you are describing now. A 3D Coat file I worked on for a month without problems suddenly got corrupted. I even sent it to the developer of 3D Coat for checking. He found the file corrupt, couldn't save it, and could not find any real reason. So he told me that most probably my Drive was getting bad.

I thought it was a cheap excuse for his application "eating my files" and corrupting them.... well, he was right in the end, I was wrong. A week later my PC couldn't boot up, drive was not readable anymore. Lucky it was still within the 5 years warranty of the drive. One more reason to buy server class drives.

So yeah, check your drive. See if the SMART errors are increasing. And make sure to backup everything you might still need. Your drive might get bad soon.

yeah I just finnished checking them IPs. Had me for a while when google pointed it's ,map to nasa(damn shouldn't went to that National Ignition Facility Site).

Ok back. What about in the file revisions it said it was modified yesterday and for some reason the folder was set to shared as well yesterday at 7.51Am.

but When I checked to day its not shared ???? this is alarm bell to me not hard drive.

In fact I have a hard drive that is 20 years old working fine and Ive had like 25 years worth of computers and never had a hard drive fail.

I could go in the back room and start my very firts computer a IBM aptiva 166 heehehe(third Computer).

So can hard drive fail write a modified log.

Is there any apps that can detect when a port open and tell me about it.

there was a unknow app in system configurations on startup some thing going by the name language_Application no install date its gone now.

Ok back. What about in the file revisions it said it was modified yesterday and for some reason the folder was set to shared as well yesterday at 7.51Am.

but When I checked to day its not shared ???? this is alarm bell to me not hard drive.

In fact I have a hard drive that is 20 years old working fine and Ive had like 25 years worth of computers and never had a hard drive fail.

I could go in the back room and start my very firts computer a IBM aptiva 166 heehehe(third Computer).

That's understandable. The first time a drive fails on someone they are confused and don't want to believe it could've happened to them, it's a distressing experience, especially since hard drive failures can often be more subtle and insidious than "cannot find boot sector". If you didn't have backups, having this happen to you is one way to get the point driven home (the hard way).

So can hard drive fail write a modified log.

Sure, why not. Where do you think the log is stored?

there was a unknow app in system configurations on startup some thing going by the name language_Application no install date its gone now.

This just means you are biased because you suspect a hacker has infliltrated your PC, so every little thing will look like a red flag to you. Be careful of cognitive bias when trying to draw logical conclusions from events you are emotionally connected to (and you obviously are in this case, given your reaction). You say you have backups, so use them:

1. Nuke your PC and reinstall the operating system (to alleviate your - irrational - fear of hackers)

2. Run hard drive tests and replace the drive if bad

3. Restore all files from backup

4. Resume normal life

This shouldn't take more than about a day, spent mostly reinstalling software.

Besides, let's assume for a second that your doubts are justified and this is the result of malice. If your computer really was targeted by someone, don't you think he'd have better things to do than randomly corrupt a file you haven't opened in years? Wouldn't he just go for your source code, erase his tracks as discreetly as possible, and then boast loudly about it on the internet? Very little malware is specifically targeted, and it always is targeted at high-profile entities like terrorists, nuclear facilities, or high-ranking officials (we call them APT's for advanced persistent threat). Most of the stuff you'll get on an average consumer PC is spyware and generic trojans that just scan for passwords, email addresses, credit card numbers, and use your residential line to send spam email as part of a botnet. They are nearly fully automated. They certainly don't search for game source code, and there is no-one at the other end trolling you by flipping bits on your hard drive smile.png

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be a hard drive failure, just that given the choice between that and a hacker stealing your source code, I would certainly find the hard drive failure a more likely explanation. But like Promit said, there could be many other causes, none of which can be remotely diagnosed. So try to relax - you (probably) aren't under attack, investigate the problem, but keep your expectations real. The causes of your malfunctions probably are much more mundane than what you're picturing them to be.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

The older the drive, the lower the bit density was so I guess they were less likely to suffer from certain forms of bit errors or quantum uncertainty effects etc.

I have a car that has never broken down and has never been in an accident. None of the other two cars I have owned have broken down or been in an accident either, and out of all of the cars my immediate family have owned only one has ever broken down and none have been in an accident.

This has absolutely no bearing on the fact that thousands of cars break down and thousands of cars are involved in accidents every day.

The fact that none of your previous hard drives have failed -- if that is in fact even true, considering that some of them may be gradually failing and you simply haven't noticed the problems yet -- does not mean that your current hard drive is not failing.

You've asked what the problem might be, and numerous very knowledgeable people have told you that the most likely cause is drive failure.

If it isn't drive failure -- and again, that is the most likely cause -- it's far more likely that some malware is making completely random changes rather than someone specifically "attacking" your unknown game.

You've also been told how to proceed with both diagnosing and recovering from the most likely problem -- rather than worrying about an extremely unlikely problem it would be most productive for you to proceed with those steps -- especially given doing so would also help in the extremely unlikely event that a hacker is specifically targeting your game.

- Jason Astle-Adams

They don't make drives like that anymore..... the good old times!

Seriously: todays consumer drives are given 3 year warranties. Personally I came to the conclusion that if a manufacturer gives you 3 years of warranty, expect it to fail after about 4-5 years. Some of my stuff even failed almost exaclty when the warranty ran out.

Of course, with drives it comes down to your usage pattern. If its the single drive in a machine used very often, and you are doing a lot of I/O intensive tasks, your drive might even failt before its warranty voids a lot.

Then there are the different classes of drives. There is a reason some drives are not even given the standart 3 year warranty (there are some 2 year warranty drives around today), while other get an extend 5 year warranty. Don't expect a cheap consumer drive to take the same I/O load like a Server drive and run for the same amount of years without failing.

Lastly, with Hard Drives like with other Hardware, its all a lottery. Do you get a particularly bad drive? Is your drive exceptionally good?

Even with todays standartized production, there are differences betweeen every part of hardware sold. Some parts do not fit together as exact as they should, some parts leak more energy. It is the reason why some examples of the exact same CPU Overclock like crazy while others get hot even before you start OC'ing. And its also the reason why some Harddrives keep on working for decades while others fail after a month.

Everybody expecting prices to come down, thus manufacturing in China, with cheap untrained labour force, and very narrow margins forcing manufacturers to use shady methods to ensure a steady income (google 'planned obsolence' or have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence) doesn't help too of course.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement