Rate my first game?

Started by
5 comments, last by PylBatu 9 years, 7 months ago

Greetings everyone! I am a just (trying) starting indie game developer and I have just 'completed' my first project. In order to delve myself deeper into the game development industry, and also to better my game development skills, I am currently seeking 'exposure' and feedback. (As shameless as 'self-promotion' sounds, I really have no choice since I am still starting out)

It is a game I have made with Flash. Specifically, an arcade shoot 'em up game with a mix of my experiments. It is entitled Time Sweeper.

Here is the link:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/pylbatu/time-sweeper

10686630_10202076556270166_6105810524238

It would be great if you could try it and tell me what you think! :)

Advertisement

I think this should have been in the Announcements thread rather than beginner.

I think this should have been in the Announcements thread rather than beginner.

Initially, I went to the Announcements seeing it was the 'perfect thread category', but as I read jbadams' pinned thread there....

Trying to get feedback on the source-code of a completed game?
If you've just created your first game and are looking to get feedback on your programming from more experienced developers, try posting in the For Beginners forum. If possible, include the code using source tags as well as a link to a playable version of the game.

...so I assumed my post be here. Sorry, am I not getting things correct?

Well you are getting feedback on your game and not the source code. Either way the game is simple, and looks solid. I'm only on the third level as I started playing after my post and it seem good thus far.

Not finding any instructions, I eventually got to the "Click Here to Continue" screen. I clicked several times.. nothing. Thumbs down.

RTFM. "Press Enter to Continue." Giving it a go.

EDIT:

Not bad. Sounds and background music are good. Graphics are appropriate for the game. Response to keyboard/mouse input is good. Nice job.

Comments:

1. Suggest using a higher contrast for color of text vs background. Instructions, etc., shown up as dark red against black on my monitor. Just a bit difficult to read.

2. Suggest using the same action to "continue" throughout. I.e., some screens continue with Enter/Return, others by clicking. By using Enter/Return to continue between levels, it avoids the user having to change from keyboard to mouse, click, and back to keyboard. If the mouse has no use other than clicking on the "next" button, don't use it.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Moving this to Game Design since you're asking for design feedback. But it might better fit in Your Announcements.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well you are getting feedback on your game and not the source code. Either way the game is simple, and looks solid. I'm only on the third level as I started playing after my post and it seem good thus far.

Oh now I see what wrong I did. Thanks for trying it out!

Not finding any instructions, I eventually got to the "Click Here to Continue" screen. I clicked several times.. nothing. Thumbs down.

RTFM. "Press Enter to Continue." Giving it a go.

EDIT:

Not bad. Sounds and background music are good. Graphics are appropriate for the game. Response to keyboard/mouse input is good. Nice job.

Comments:

1. Suggest using a higher contrast for color of text vs background. Instructions, etc., shown up as dark red against black on my monitor. Just a bit difficult to read.

2. Suggest using the same action to "continue" throughout. I.e., some screens continue with Enter/Return, others by clicking. By using Enter/Return to continue between levels, it avoids the user having to change from keyboard to mouse, click, and back to keyboard. If the mouse has no use other than clicking on the "next" button, don't use it.

Thank you for your feedback! smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement