Does my method make sense?

Started by
19 comments, last by Steeeeve 9 years, 6 months ago
So as a very short version of my main project. I am working on project that involves 3 seperate factions each with their own ideals. The end result I am aiming for is a game where a player can choose a faction and play for that side.

I have decided that rather than just giving only a small blurb about each faction I would tell the story of how each faction became what it is at the current point. To do this I have made the choice to produce 3 separate games that will take players through the world and show them what each faction is about and what they are trying to achieve.

I also feel that doing things in this fashion will allow me to gauge player reactions to what I am driving toward before I invest myself in the multi faction game. Does this sound like a reasonable rout to take or is there a better way to tell these stories and still be able to get a good handle on player feelings toward what I hope will be a franchise?
Advertisement

If I understand correctly, you'd like to replicate Starcraft's business model?

(The first game was broken in 3 segments, + 1 expansion for 3 segments, whereas the 2nd game is 3 actual titles, each focused on each of the factions).

Correct?

I hadn't actually thought of it in that way. In one sense yes, as I am telling a large background story of the three seperate groups. I spaced in mentioning that these 3 are all going to be seperate rpgs. Other than that I don't think there are any other similarities. So to phrase it a bit better, 3 different rpgs that are connected and in the same world. If that does well the some other form of game comes after and you can choose the faction and class you want.

I guess it is a similar approach.

I have always be fond of re-using the same world for different games. Each adding more depth to to world background.

But, I don't quite understand what you want to do. Why can't you make one game in which the player switch viewpoint and character as the game progress. In the first chapter the player play as a member of the faction A, in the second the faction B, etc...

if you plan to make all three game a RPG, why separating them in three games? Except if you want to release your game quicker, then yes it is justified.

I think building a coherent universe across games (say "episodically") would be very nice but at this level of abstraction it could be pretty much everything.

Previously "Krohm"

I have always be fond of re-using the same world for different games. Each adding more depth to to world background.
But, I don't quite understand what you want to do. Why can't you make one game in which the player switch viewpoint and character as the game progress. In the first chapter the player play as a member of the faction A, in the second the faction B, etc...
if you plan to make all three game a RPG, why separating them in three games? Except if you want to release your game quicker, then yes it is justified.

Part of it is that there are going to be several encounters between the main characters that would seem sort of off if it was all in one game. Each character has a seperate story and each story has an effect on the other. Two of the faction leaders only exist as they are because of the first factions actions.

The second part is because I honestly want to put the games out as quickly and efficiently as possible. I made this a bit easeir on myself by starting on the one out of three that I feel will allow me to create textures and assets that can be used in the other two games.

I think building a coherent universe across games (say "episodically") would be very nice but at this level of abstraction it could be pretty much everything.

Would you mind going into more detail as to how it could be everything?

Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?

Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.

Three stories and three games is not a method, it's a trainwreck. Concentrate on telling one cohesive story, even if sometimes seen through three seperate lenses, in one game. Effectively telling one story would put you far above 99% of idie devs.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?

Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.

Three stories and three games is not a method, it's a trainwreck. Concentrate on telling one cohesive story, even if sometimes seen through three seperate lenses, in one game. Effectively telling one story would put you far above 99% of idie devs.

Yeah. Get rid of all distractions that prevent you from focusing on only ONE game.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

But the problem is that I am literally telling 3 stories. With different characters and telling why they are doing what they are doing and how they became who they are now. Each of these is a separate experience that when finished will have given a player a more in depth knowledge of the world and each faction before they make the choice of what faction to fight for. Rather than just telling backstory through little bits of quests and speech in a larger game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement