• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Creating a 3D Game Engine [Level Editor]

This topic is 1247 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I know there are many topics about this, but I want to be actually specific about what I want.

For the level editor I want it to have four screens

1) top

2) side

3) front

4) perspective

You can model the objects in this game engine, but for now it can be down through other 3D modeling software. So my editor needs to:

1) Import models

2) Place, Drag, Rotate, Re size, and Delete models

3) Change name of models

4) test level

5) rotate screen with holding down middle mouse, shift+left click to move screen, middle mouse scroll to zoom in and out

How would I create this?

If you can think of anything else that would be essential for a level editor please add it.

Thank you

Edited by imjakdax

Advertisement

If you can think of anything else that would be essential for a level editor please add it.

A level editor is a tool used to assemble a game level. That is more than just placing geometry. Things like

* support for game objects (CES)

* bounding volumes

* support for path-finding

* baked lighting

* attaching shader scripts

* triggers

* texturing

* texture packing

* sound & music

* regions & portals

* rigging

* animation clips

* animation trees & blending

* NPC behavior

* scripting

* and not to forget writing level files

come to mind.

So, what is essential? All that is needed for the type of game and level. Some stuff may be readily imported, and perhaps you have some tool chain that generate other stuff. I don't know; you told us not enough details.

Edited by haegarr

Hello there.

Try splitting it up make 2 apps the editor and a assests manager. the assmanager is where you inport and do all things like that.

the assmanager then creates a file that holds all objects, you then load into the editor app and make map levels and what not.

then the game reads what ever the editor writes out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement