Help Me Rip Off UT

Started by
5 comments, last by Lubb 22 years, 5 months ago
I have something of an idea for a FPS game, and am curious as to if it''s been done before: (The basic premise is a UT-type game) The requirement is two or more items that have to be picked up, but get lost in the reverse order they were picked up in. Such as, each person can pick up three different items: 1)a gun, 2)armor that only blocks frontal shots, and 3)a force field that lessens damage from 360 degrees. (the armor and force field you lose if ya get shooted up ''nuff...) When the game starts, you don''t have any of these three things, you have to run around and find them, and they wouldn''t be particularly difficult to find. The twist is that when you take damage from an opponent, accumulating the damage causes you to lose the items in the reverse order you picked them up in. So if you picked up the force field, the front-shield and then the gun, and you take a few hits,,, -you lose the gun first , then the armor, and then the force field. Ideally, I think, you wouldn''t be able to "drop" anything except to get it shot off, and obviously there would be places where you''d prefer to lose one item over the others, but you''d have to have it layered in the right order in advance for that to happen. And you''d have to let somebody shoot it off... Three items isn''t much to keep track of mentally and this would introduce an element of strategy to FPS games I haven''t heard of, but what do I know? Has it been done? - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Lubb
Three items isn''t much to keep track of mentally and this would introduce an element of strategy to FPS games I haven''t heard of, but what do I know? Has it been done? - Lubb

It hasn''t been done, and for a very good reason. It makes no sense.

Strategy: get a gun first! Want a bigger gun? Gotta lose the armor and force field then come back for this sucka, hahahaha...

You know what, make a mod for UT or HL that implements those rules and then guage people''s response to it. When you''ve gotten your figures, decide whether it was worthwhile.

RPGs are overrated and FPSes are soooo cliche... thank goodness for Solitaire!
I am all for basing a hobby developers game off a retail version for experience and stuff. However, your idea needs some SERIOUS work. Like above poster, it doesnt make sense to loose items in the MIDDLE of a fight after taking some hits. Im sure your *trying* to implement some kind of strategy to your game idea, but you should ask yourself if when you are playing this game, is it any fun for you as a player to loose some items but not others, only because of the order you picked them up in???

I think that the advice to use UT as a mod for your ideas is very smart, especially with something that might not be liked by other players, but good luck.
Well, the UT reference was just in regard to a game that is only compromised of running around shooting at players/bots, not so much that it had to be an actual mod.
~
The problem with playing these types of games is that you hold onto all your stuff until you actually die, and somehow that don''t seem right. -Particularly in single player mode, there''s not much in the way of strategy to be used: you just go in shootin'', because anywhere you can shoot at a bot, they can shoot back at you, for as long as everybody''s alive. In some games you do have different weapons, but that''s not the same efect: no weapon ever discourages bots from shooting at you.
quote:Like above poster, it doesnt make sense to lose items in the MIDDLE of a fight after taking some hits.

-Why not? If you''ve got three items and one of them goes, you just know you''re losing. Of course, the gun might be the first thing to go, if it was the last thing you picked up, but then, that''s what strategy is: beforehand, you can run around naked trying to find a gun first, or pick up the armor and force-field first, and worry about the consequences of losing the gun during a shootout later....
~
-I''d think if you decided randomly which item to lose, players would definitely get angry that they had no control over losing a gun first. One solution is to take away the stuff in the reverse order they found it in, and make sure that all three items can''t always be found quickly and easily. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
In some games you do have different weapons, but that''s not the same efect: no weapon ever discourages bots from shooting at you.

That''s not true, there are some games (UT might be one of them) where bots run away if they see you carrying a bigger weapon than themselves...

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
Well, the UT reference was just in regard to a game that is only compromised of running around shooting at players/bots, not so much that it had to be an actual mod.

We didn''t imply that you said it had to be a mod, we''re recommending that you try your idea out as a simple mod before you commit months of your life to developing a full-fledged game that nobody may like.

It''s called "market research."

quote: -I''d think if you decided randomly which item to lose, players would definitely get angry that they had no control over losing a gun first.

In some games you lose your current weapon. In others you lose them in the reverse order you got them (you lose the Rocket Launcher, then the Spinning Turret Machine Gun, then the Shotgun, then the Pistol... but you never lose the knife)(Doom).

I don''t think any game takes away your weapons in random order...

In any case, I wouldn''t play it (I generally don''t play FPSes, and it isn''t sufficiently different from other FPSes to motivate me to play, unless you have other design and thematic improvements up your sleeve)

I wanna work for Microsoft!
As has been said before, parts dont make any sense. If I picked some armor up, then found some better armor, why cant i take off the first set? I have to let it get shot off? But what if I picked it up first? Now I have to lose all my other stuff, in order to get better armor. It''s kind of like if you had to remove the gun turret from a tank to get out of the driver''s seat... Sure the player can lose something, but not being able to manually remove it is a big pain in the arse...

Z.
______________"Evil is Loud"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement