SDL vs SDL2

Started by
4 comments, last by grinliz 9 years, 6 months ago

I simply want to know, the benefits of each, and what they should be used for. Thanks ahead of time!

~GTE

Advertisement

Just use SDL 2. It's the current API and the one the developers suggest you use. SDL 1.2 exists for backwards comparability.

What are the benefits and uses for Netscape 4.1 vs Firefox? tongue.png

There's no meaningful benefit to SDL 1 over SDL 2. None. The old version hasn't seen a bugfix or update in almost 3 years ago, it has less features, supports fewer devices and OSes, and it isn't maintained for security patches.

It can be dangerous to go too bleeding edge but in general you should always stick to the most recently released and actively maintained version of every library and tool you use. Especially with anything where you don't have an explicit support contract with the software vendor.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Okay, can you give me a tutorial to SDL2. I've been using SDL 1.2 for a couple months, so I hope It will be easy to learn SDL2.

~GTE

This is what you're looking for:

http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php

For future reference, it's the first thing that showed up when I googled "sdl tutorial".

I'v converted from SDL1 to SDL2, and found it well worth the effort. SDL2 cleans up some conceptual weirdness in SDL1 (what's in texture mem vs. low mem?) as well as enabling new OS and platform features (consistent multitouch.)

And, as others have pointed out, it's clearly the future of SDL development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement