The Week of Awesome II - Unnofficial After Party

Started by
86 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 6 months ago

I'm curious about something: why have so many folks have packaged up their games in .rar instead of .zip? Zip functionality is built into Windows and MacOS, and .rar requires a 3rd party app to package/extract. I was playing some of the compo games at a friend's place last night and we passed on the ones that were packaged as .rar since he didn't want to bother downloading winrar or whatever was necessary to extract it.

Is there some advantage I'm not seeing of .rar? It just seems like it's a PITA.

I had troubles back in the old windows XP days with WINZIP. WinRar was more flexible and supported more files. Also back then WINZIP didn't come with the OS automatically if I'm not mistaken. I never questioned my usage of .RAR files before as I never had anyone complain of it before. I can offer my game in a ZIP file if this is any inconvenience.

And I just went trough the whole thread and I got many answers :)

Advertisement

So, what kind of games are people working on now?

Professionally - nothin'

Personally - Simple space merchant game. Travel from system to system in your custom space ship buying/selling goods, protecting them from pirates. I'm planning for this simple version to be a stepping stone to a bigger, grander version later on down the line.

What kind of cool code bits are you going to rip out of your submitted games to use for other projects?

For me, my Game State Management got a little more sophisticated, so I'll be reusing that code. This was my first attempt at AI, but I was pleased with the results. I don't think there's any reusable code here, but the concepts I learned will be coming with me. The Turn Based Combat System looks like a good start. My final target will be something like Master of Orion II's combat system. And of course, my Game Settings Files that I've been geeking out over to keep the game data-driven.

Here's a more detailed analysis of the systems if anyone is interested:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1922/entry-2260314-the-week-of-awesome-ii-sifting-through-the-aftermath/

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

For myself, I'm somewhat taking a break between projects, with the intention of returning properly to one or another presently. Depending on the reception of my entry, I might make a "version two" of that; either way, I have a larger "exploration-combat-and-adventuring" project that was underway before the competition began, and that I hope to get back to soon.

As to code-reuse, I'm not sure. I could perhaps see myself reusing the code that generates rooms, should I make another game that calls for it, but otherwise most elements of the game are either too simple to be worth the bother (such as my base "item" and "game object" classes), or too specific (such as the sub-classes of those same)--or, of course, are already reused elements (such as my "menu" classes).

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

So, what kind of games are you working on now?

My 2D turn-based RPG w/ action-elements (broken website), called 'Of Stranger Flames'. It's kinda half-fantasy half-historical (fantasy set in historical setting, I mean - a 16th century French colony, with limited magic and alot of monsters). More details on my dev journal.

I'm still working to get the editor working properly, but the (high-level) plot and world is already designed and ready to be implemented as soon as I get it all working.

What kind of cool code bits are you going to rip out of your submitted games to use for other projects?

The A* pathfinding class I was working during the contest (in 6 hours on the final day) on but didn't complete in time for the contest, I'll finish and re-use. I never did A* before, but I think I got a grasp on it now.

I also realize I can use std::function directly for signals and slots, instead of the current 3rd-party class I was using, since 99% of the time, my signals only need to connect to one slot anyway.

Currently I am working on 2 things :

1. My game/app for teaching kids game development/coding. (more on that in a sec)

2. An advertisement game for a Truck Driver Recruiting company.

I will be able to re-use a decent amount of the core mechanics for a long term project I have planed. It is an top down action game very loosely based on "A Pilgram's Progress" set in a dystopian steampunk world.

About number 1. While I have not been in the game development businesses very long. I have been mentoring kids and teens for years and programming / graphic art for almost a decade. I really want to help kids learn to love programming and honestly the best way is to help them make their own games. So I actually entered this industry with the purpose in mind to teach kids how to do it.
Last year I was working with an 8 year old and we made 2 games but he didn't really learn a lot in the process. Since then I have been planning on developing a better systematic way of doing this.

You know, it feels almost a pity that no-one (as far as I'm aware) went with the pun of completing the "theme" line to become "the toys are alive--with the sound of muuuusiiiic!~"...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Hey everyone, it took me a while to re-find this thread.

I plan on taking time out this weekend to play test all the games!

Just wanted to congratulate everyone for the great job they did in a week!

I saw a few questions being answered and figured I'd give them a try too.

So, what kind of games are people working on now?

Officially, nothing but I really want to make an Ouya game though

Definitely going to try to improve on the arrow pointer system. The default system had 3 items and I added 1 more to make 4. Going to try to push it to about 10-20 and see if unity crashes or not :)

So, what kind of games are you working on now?

My two space games

Also, an action-adventure game...

And everything I do professionally that's under NDA.

Absolutely nothing. All of this was a rushed-in test for the sake of this competition. If anything, my post-mortem underlined I've made some pretty bad decisions early on!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement