Is it possible to make an OpenGL animation into a screensaver? and how?

Started by
2 comments, last by Scraniel 22 years, 5 months ago
Is it possible to make an OpenGL animation into a screensaver? and how? Thanks. ~Scraniel~ (by the way, i''m a newbie at this, please use English)
Advertisement
Yes, I''ve seen it done (several OGL screen savers _come with NT), but I''ve never made a screen saver (with or without OGL). I think all they are is a specialized dll.

The MSDN should have information about making screen savers.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I just posted a big message the other day about screensavers and OpenGL.

Note to all: try searching before being the 1000th person to ask the same question.

(not trying to sound that bitchy - just trying to help)

ThomW
www.LMNOpc.com
Screensavers are NOT dll''s. They are renamed EXEs. Just make a program as usual, then change its extension to SCR. It will function as a screen saver.

But there are a few things a screen saver does special. You know they close upon keyboard or mouse input (you have to program that in, by the way). They also need to respond to certain window messages. When your window receives WM_SYSCOMMAND, check for a wParam of SC_SCREENSAVE. If you find it, have your wndproc return FALSE (or false). This prevents Windows from trying to launch your screensaver again.

That''s the basic stuff, but there''s a whole set of optional things that any professional screensaver should do. A good reference is at http://www.wischik.com/scr/howtoscr.html .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement