Trying to make a game, but don't know where to start

Started by
4 comments, last by Prodigal 9 years, 6 months ago

Hello! I'm new here. Anyways, so I never really made a game before. I want to start a simple guinea pig of a 2D platformer. As said in the title I have no idea where to start. I don't know which language I should learn, I don't know which engine I should use. I don't know how to go about designing characters/workds/items/etc. properly. Also I want to get the full experience of making a game and sending it out there to the public. I heard it would cost a lot of money and such. I'm honestly clueless. Anybody with experience can tell me how they started out?

Advertisement
Start with Game Maker and make Pong. Then make a 2D platformer prototype.

Move onto a language of your choice and make Pong. Then make your 2D platformer.

I'd suggest moving this post to For Beginners, mods?

You should work with unity3d. It's free and there are a lot of simple tutorials you can find on YouTube! Feel free to pm me and I can point you in the right direction for anything you need!

Looking for Java coder (smartfox) and 2D UI Artists for my Island Troll Tribes stand alone game: Here

I don't know which language I should learn, I don't know which engine I should use.

This is not a question about game design. Moving to For Beginners (a technical forum).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am fairly new to this community; however, I share your same concern and have chosen to further enhance my knowledge about Computer Science / Game Development through this free online course:

https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-cs50x-introduction-computer-1022#.VDMYj2K9KSM

I highly recommend you give this a try all the way through and visit MIT's "Scratch" to dive into game development using the simple drag n drop method. Just focus on the beginning foundations of programming in general before you start making games. It shouldn't take too long if you are truly interested in learning these skills. Hope I could help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement