Going to school for game design, worth it?

Started by
14 comments, last by StarMire 9 years, 6 months ago

Basically I just want to do as much of everything as I possibly can, I like to be as indie as possible lol. The school thing was more for opportunities than anything but if AI is really as bad as Derek said then nvm. I'm just trying to figure out everythin I'll need to study so that I can become a game designer or developer or whatever it's even called XD

being awesome at what you do gets you opportunities, school won't do that for you. best thing you can do instead of spending 150k on school, is use that money for tutorials and software and study on your own.

Tom Sloper gave you excellent advice.

freelance 3d artist

www.3drino.com

www.twitter.com/RinoZvizdic

Advertisement

Basically I just want to do as much of everything as I possibly can, I like to be as indie as possible lol. The school thing was more for opportunities than anything but if AI is really as bad as Derek said then nvm. I'm just trying to figure out everythin I'll need to study so that I can become a game designer or developer or whatever it's even called XD

being awesome at what you do gets you opportunities, school won't do that for you. best thing you can do instead of spending 150k on school, is use that money for tutorials and software and study on your own.

Tom Sloper gave you excellent advice.

well thats sorta becoming the plan, I just need to figure out everything I need to study

Well, many people have already proven they can develop successful games without an education like that. However, it all depends on what kind of person you are. Are you someone who needs structure or needs motivation from others? Then a game design education could be an option because it would provide you that structure. Furthermore, you'll have interesting like-minded people to talk with. However, in my opinion 99% of what is taught in those classes can be learned from online tutorials and online community interactions as well. If you learn best by being your own teacher then you might not need such an education

Hope it helps!

I live in France and most education is free (beside paying for your rent) so it's probably an easier choice for me but I think you should get a degree even if it's not a game design one (do computer programming if you like it) and work on game design on the side.

Basically, im planning on going to the art institute for game design, is it worth it? From what I hear its a good school and they offer great opportunities, but idk anyone personally whos been there. I dont want to shell out a bunch of money if its a waste if time basically.

On a side note, assuming I go to school for game design, what kinds of things do they teach? I want to start studying now so im not going in blind. Since it will take a few years to save up, might as well study in that time.
I heard advanced algebra is needed, as well as history, game and computer logic, as well as 1 or 2 programming languages. So im thinking of buying books in these topics and studying until I can go.
thoughts?

I'll assume that by "is it worth it" you mean, do I need this to find a job in the industry.

The short answer is no, you don't. And if we stick to your current hopes and dreams, that's pretty much the end of the line.

But if, like me, you find much later that, though you're good at your job, and have learned a lot through practice, there are still times where you wish you had some form of theory to back it up, or to help you face new challenges you are less experienced with, you might look back and ask yourself "why didn't I?".

I don't know about that specific school/program, but here are several things you might want to research for yourself:

- More than algebra, everything math related. It's never superfluous. Consider that the more you know, the more valuable you can be to a development team, even if it is out of your immediate zone of responsibilities.

- Not sure how History correlates to this, but I've seen my fair share of game designers actually come from this sort of background (heck, even I used to study History in University). I think the primary advantage of doing a lot of studies down that alley is the critical mindset and work ethic that comes along with it. It translates perfectly to nearly any discipline.

- I'd probably start with C# and Unity. They're a very easy way to start learning fast and produce results (which will be good for your ego and a definite immediate positive feedback if you intend to learn it on your own). There are amazing FREE tutorials for C# and Unity out there, so save that money and don't spend it on books.

- Play games.

- Make games.

- Save up money.

- Apply to a school.

- Continue making games.

In my view, no, it's not worth it. Just take contract jobs and work on building a good portfolio. Start working for free, then for cheap, then eventually you'll be good enough to apply to a studio if that's where you want to go.

Getting hired is all about showing what you can do, not a diploma.

Now, as others mentioned, if you lack motivation and can't seem to push yourself to do tutorials and teach yourself, then going to school for it may be a good way to provide the structure you need to improve. But that's only if you have the money, or you can find a course that offers a really good value. There are intangibles that can be worth it to some people. But if you're struggling with cash and it's an expensive program, and particularly if you're self motivated anyway, staying clear of those programs would be my advice.

I wouldn't take seriously university claims about getting students hired in the industry.

That said, if I'm looking for interns in a pinch, the first place I call (after not getting a good response to job postings) is these schools, because they usually have students looking for jobs at the end of each semester. But it's nothing you couldn't find on your own by keeping a sharp eye on the classifieds here. Putting in the time, you can save money.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement