• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Battlefleet Engineer - A tactical space combat game with fully player-designed ships

This topic is 1124 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In Battlefleet Engineer you will be able to design modular spaceships from small fighters with 10 modules to capital ships with 500+, fight against computer controller opponents and fleets of similar ships, upgrade your ships and build up a fleet to take on pirates, mercenaries, corporate factions and even the armadas of interstellar empires as you please, and much more.

The game is currently still in quite early stage of development, even though quite a lot of work has already been put into development of the core engine features.

Introduction/core features overview video:

New combat features overview video:

Ship blueprint browser and stats

Blueprint%20browser%20and%20stats.jpg

Ship editor

Ship%20editor.jpg

In-game, lighting intensity turned down for a moody setting

Combat%20mode%201.jpg

What makes Battlefleet Engineer special
  • Modular, freeform spaceship design where every aspect of the ship is defined by the modules and nothing else. You are not just adding upgrades to a pre-defined hull, the modules are the ship! Each module has mass, contributes resources, can add constraints to the design, may get disabled or destroyed and so on.
  • No-cheating Newtonian physics driven gameplay. Nearly all space games simplify space flight by including magical engines that can accelerate the ship in any direction and adding phantom forces or friction to simplify control. Battlefleet Engineer will have none of that, because I strongly believe that a more realistic approach will ultimately yield much more engaging gameplay and vastly deepen the ship design aspect of the game.
  • Your design choices will affect everything. The ship designs you choose or create will directly affect the viable strategies you have available in battles, as well in the bigger picture. Capital ships may be able to deal and take massive amounts of damage, but can't chase down targets, and a a squad of specialized fighters may be able to flank and disable them with ease. To success, your favorite combat strategies will need to be reflected down back to the ship designs and fleet composition.
  • Shooter or RTS, your choice. Build, upgrade and fly a single powerful ship yourself or construct, maintain and command a fleet of smaller ships. You can seamlessly take full or partial command of any ship in your fleet during combat.
  • Simulation that is not just skin-deep. The game will feature real-time simulation of resource generation, storage and consumption (electricity, fuel, ammunition, waste heat etc.) within the ships,  and a per-module damage system with modifiers for different types of threats (kinetic, plasma, charged particles, radiation). The actual properties of your ships will also affect the bigger picture such as "campaign map" movement speed.
  • Logical encounters. Space is unbeliveably vast and there are no borders to be seen, so why limit the battles to relatively tiny arenas that you cannot escape? If you have a faster accelerating ship than your opponents and decide to flee an encounter, the game will let you do so. On the other hand, you will need to design your fleet for great peak acceleration (and maybe suffer from it in the battles) if you want to hunt down other fleets.

Much more information and newest updates can be found from the development blog:

http://www.battlefleetengineer.com/

Advertisement

Hi,

Just wanted to say: awsome project!
I've checked the Technical overview post on your dev.blog, some interesting topics/decisions over there (XNA user here happy.png), good read, oh and before I forget:
"Currently there is about 24500 lines of C#, and 1800 lines of JavaScript code in the game."
That is some determination and if I'm not mistaken this was the actual state months ago, and have grown since ohmy.png

Keep up!

I've checked the Technical overview post on your dev.blog, some interesting topics/decisions over there (XNA user here ), good read, oh and before I forget:
"Currently there is about 24500 lines of C#, and 1800 lines of JavaScript code in the game."
That is some determination and if I'm not mistaken this was the actual state months ago, and have grown since

Nice to know at least someone finds the technical stuff interesting, so my writing efforts aren't in vain. sleep.png

If you want to know more about some particular topics, I have made a in-depth overview video about the game's feature implementation and sofware architecture. It is extremely long, but the description has links to different topics so you can jump around easily. 

And yes, the code base has been growing quite rapidly during the last few months as I have been able to work full time on this project. The current numbers are about 40,000 for C# and 4000 for JavaScript. happy.png

The current numbers are about 40,000 for C# and 4000 for JavaScript.

ohmy.png
That is a pretty huge code-base to be handled by only one person without using some streamlined and well functioning development practices.
Hands down, great job wink.png!

Thanks for the video, I had no time yet to watch it (pretty lengthy smile.png), but I've checked some parts and it goes into great detail and touches a lot of topics regarding the project.
I'm especially interested in some specific parts for e.g.:
- User Interface
- Design patterns (Object-oriented programming, inheritance instead of components etc.)
- Serialization to XML & JSON / saving
- Graphics (Sprite system, dynamic lighting, deferred rendering, debugging with Nsight, XNA performance)
But I guess this video could interest anyone working on game tech/logic.

I will check each part as my time allows, thx again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!