• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
perfectwind

new MOBA idea

This topic is 1409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all!

I have an idea of new DOTA-like game.

Characters can be heroes from: 

1. different mythologies (Greek, Norse etc.)

2. comics

With this approach it would be easier to create abilities, items and so on. smile.png

What do you think?

Advertisement

Hi,

Hmm.. It sounds the same like the other MOBA games.(thats what i am reading right now)

Perhaps you need to explain it way more better.

HyperV

Hum... One concern that I have is that drawing from comics seems likely to run afoul of IP law, and thus incur either legal trouble or licensing fees.

As to drawing from mythology, I think that at least one such game already exists--but that doesn't mean that there isn't space for another, especially if you feel that you can improve upon that game.

With this approach it would be easier to create abilities, items and so on. 

I don't really see why it would be easier to create abilities, items and so on.  If you mean those abilities and items would already be defined based on the mythology or comics, that's not really the challenge in creating abilities, items and so on.

The real challenge is finding a balance in the power of those abilities and items that creates compelling gameplay.  Honestly, the act of creating a fleshed out concept/design with all ability & item accoutrement will account for maybe 10% of the total effort to create a balanced, compelling character, and that's a high estimate.

Characters can be heroes from: 

1. different mythologies (Greek, Norse etc.)

That's what Smite does. If a game studio used that as an idea, that means it must be a good one. ;)

However, I agree with what jHaskell said, coming up with spell ideas is not the hard part. Most of the challenge comes from a well balanced game with good counterplay.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!