new MOBA idea

Started by
4 comments, last by wodinoneeye 9 years, 6 months ago

Hello all!

I have an idea of new DOTA-like game.

Characters can be heroes from:

1. different mythologies (Greek, Norse etc.)

2. comics

With this approach it would be easier to create abilities, items and so on. smile.png

What do you think?

Advertisement

Hi,

Hmm.. It sounds the same like the other MOBA games.(thats what i am reading right now)

Perhaps you need to explain it way more better.

HyperV

Hum... One concern that I have is that drawing from comics seems likely to run afoul of IP law, and thus incur either legal trouble or licensing fees.

As to drawing from mythology, I think that at least one such game already exists--but that doesn't mean that there isn't space for another, especially if you feel that you can improve upon that game.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

With this approach it would be easier to create abilities, items and so on.

I don't really see why it would be easier to create abilities, items and so on. If you mean those abilities and items would already be defined based on the mythology or comics, that's not really the challenge in creating abilities, items and so on.

The real challenge is finding a balance in the power of those abilities and items that creates compelling gameplay. Honestly, the act of creating a fleshed out concept/design with all ability & item accoutrement will account for maybe 10% of the total effort to create a balanced, compelling character, and that's a high estimate.

Characters can be heroes from:

1. different mythologies (Greek, Norse etc.)

That's what Smite does. If a game studio used that as an idea, that means it must be a good one. ;)

However, I agree with what jHaskell said, coming up with spell ideas is not the hard part. Most of the challenge comes from a well balanced game with good counterplay.

My current game project Platform RPG

MOBA - Museum of Bad Art ??? (google it) I suppose eventually everything will have a game made of it, eventually...

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement