• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elixer

zedzeek!

This topic is 6068 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey zedzeek, your site at members.xoom.com/myBollux , seems to be dead. Did you move your site someplace?

Advertisement
i think xoom''s gone bankrupt ive been meaning to get a perminant site together for ages but havent had the cash.
i have a few shots of my game here at the moment
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
no code though sorry guys

Well, nice to hear you are still around, since I haven''t really been here in a long time. I was just trying to update my bookmarks of all the sites I visited before.

Those screenshots look great!

Are you using a octree/quadtree along with Potential Visibility Sets for your terrain? I also take it your terrain is not deformable since if it was, you couldn''t (I don'' think) use PVS.

I was trying to make CLOD terrain with octree, but it is extremely slow for me(only 40fps), so I switched to tri-trees which seem to be working better for now. I get around 70 FPS with 12000 triangles now. I was thinking of doing PVS, but as I stated above, I would have to make the terrain "normal" and not deformable. Decisions...Decisions... :D

about the grass i wrote this to a guy yesterday mailto:dahein@maildrop.srv.ualberta.ca but it bounced so if hes reading
--theyre just billboarded quads which fade out based on distance to the camera. the quads only rotate on the x axis so theyre not
always facing the camera. simple technique
--the trees are what im working on at the moment (if anyones got CGP+P check out the part about ''grammer models'') though my technique isnt exactlly the same. basically the trees/rocks etc are fractals (generated by various techniques eg noise/mandelbrot/grammer models) what this enables me to do is store very large models in a small space eg those trees each contain ±500,000 tris (but really theres no limit) also no two trees/rocks are alike.
-- the pvs is pregenerated (which takes a long long time) with deformable landscape/whatever this aint gonna work as good, you could use bounding boxes with a lot of leyway but ild look at a ingame method, its gonna be less accurate than pregeneration but itll be ''hopefully'' better than none at all
-- ogl ill send u the picking demo

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!