• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Visual Programming Language for Shading?

This topic is 1327 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there were any sort of graphic programming languages, as used in UE3/4 (unreal engine) to do shaders. I haven't really found any sort of abstract solution which simply supplies a tool to create shaders and a compiler to generate the appropriate glsl/hlsl code for the shader. Is there any such api, open source or otherwise? If not i was wondering why not? Is it too difficult to abstract, or would the advantages of using such a system be negated by abstracting it to be integratable into any game engine?

Advertisement

Take a look at Directed Graph Shader Language.

This is directx specific tool meaning you wont be able to create GLSL with it. One challege with shaders is they are usually tied to a specific game engine. That makes it harder to have a generic shader making tool you can use anywhere.

Edited by HappyCoder

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!