anyone have experience of selling Android game?

Started by
24 comments, last by stupid_programmer 9 years, 6 months ago
have anyone sold Android games in play store?
if so, how much u've earned in about one month?
I'm working on a game project...
I just curious to know if it will be beneficial....
Advertisement

I think you put this in wrong category.

have anyone sold Android games in play store?
if so, how much u've earned in about one month?
I'm working on a game project...
I just curious to know if it will be beneficial....

You have games that probably make cents, maybe some dollars, and you have games that make thousands per day. I'm not sure how knowing the earnings of other projects will help yours, but it depends on different factors.

Does it have ads?

Does it have In-App-Purchase?

Is it free? (there are non-free games with in-app-purchase too)

It would be better to create a marketing plan, to define your monetization model and to estimate your earning based on different number of active players. You'll have a better idea with that approach, looking at other games numbers will give you pretty useless information I think.

I think you put this in wrong category.

Definitely. Selling games is a Business question, so I'm moving this to the Business forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have 4 apps on the google play store, I'm not sure how much money I would make because they are all free, but I can tell you about how many downloads I'm getting.

Without any advertising my most popular app has had about 450 downloads in 7 months, In total all my apps have around 700 downloads.

If I was selling the apps that would probably be a lot less.

Generally people are most successful with a free trial version of an app so that people can see what they are buying.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Basically all of the open mobile platforms are economies with a very long tail -- In other words, a relative handful of the most popular apps make "real money" and revenues fall off exponentially from there. Without having actual figures to back it up, my impression based on experiences and studies I've read are that 98% of developers are making "pizza money" at best -- $100 US a month, or less. There are millions of developers and millions of apps -- hundreds or thousands of new apps each day.

Even good, high-quality games fail to find a market every day in these economies, for whatever reason. They maybe lack marketting, or launch against other software that grabbed all the mindshare the morning they launched. Less scrupulous publishers hire shadowy firms to inflate their initial download numbers so that they can raise into the public's conciousness, in hopes of cracking the top-10 list where the real money is.

All that is not to say that success is impossible, but it certainly is improbable. There are still success stories, but the biggest among them tend to be games that have 'gone viral' like flappy birds -- the polish and appeal of such games play a part in starting the viral reaction, but its not really something you can design to influence. Flappy Birds could have ended up making no money at all, had the winds simply been blowing a different direction that day. Frankly, I would *plan* on not making any money to start, and take your first games as a learning experience. You might get lucky, but more likely you'll establish a small but growing fanbase who will have an increasingly large back-catalog of your games to buy and recommend to their friends. Over time this can grow into a sustainable business, but under almost no circumstances today are sustainable businesses springing forth from a single game launch.

Also, a 'box price' (where you buy the game up-front for a set price) is a complete non-starter on mobile in general and on android specifically. The ease with which (cracked) games can be side-loaded on android means there's a vibrant android warez community who simply never pay for the software they use, and even among the more honest android users, the ecosystem provides 10s or hundreds of free alternatives in nearly any category, no matter how niche. Instant, meaningful success on these platforms has almost nothing to do with the quality of your product -- although a quality product is a minimum barrier to entry -- and everything to do with factors you can't control, like getting some good organic publicity or serendipitously stumbling onto a top-10 list on the back of viral forces.

The easiest way (most easily grafted into any kind of game with minimum effort) is to build your game to support adds and have it be completely free, then, as an in-app-purchase, offer an item that disables adds and sell it for $1. Crackers will even remove the adds, probably, but usually people will just take the official free version with adds rather than risk whatever other malware a cracked copy might contain. So, you'll get a trickle of revenue from anyone who plays your game, and you'll have the opportunity to make sales to those who like your game enough to want to skip the interruptions. Another idea is to simply give away the first few levels or hours of content entirely free with no adds, and then sell the remaining content via in-app purchases -- that's essentially how iD software established their business back in the day with Wolfenstien3D and Doom using the then-common shareware business model; of course, the shareware markets of the day were much less crowded, your only competition were the other floppy-disks sharing the wall at your local radio shack or mom-and-pop computer store.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

As outlined, its already very hard to find a spot. Also Android has an "apk" issue.

So, I'd rather see if I can tailor games to fit in in-app-purchase and in-game-advertisement to set "free"

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Even good, high-quality games fail to find a market every day in these economies, for whatever reason.

This is so depressing. The world has become a lottery :-(

The world has become a lottery

There was a time when it wasn't??

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The world has become a lottery

There was a time when it wasn't??

Not too sure about that but I think there was more low hanging fruit. In 1993 or so it might have been possible to monetise a game on a platform like the Amiga for about €50 or something whereas now everyone and their grandmother is an App developer, free apps of course because it is hard to still sell one for even $.99

I'm not saying a game didn't have to be very good but I mean to say that nowadays even excellence is absolutely not a guarantee for success.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement