help understand this exponential damage function?

Started by
3 comments, last by Daniel Bhagolie 9 years, 6 months ago

I am having a lot of trouble understanding how this person explained this section of the text book. I understand some of it but after a while it gets frustrating

(picture 1)

[attachment=24069:Capture.PNG]
(picture 2)
[attachment=24070:2.PNG]
(picture 3)
[attachment=24071:3.PNG]
I understand everything up until they mention using
the 3 relations to figure out k1 k2 k3.
i dont know how they did it? So lost. D;
how did they solve for k1 k2 k3 using
100 = k1e^k2(1) +k3
1 = k1e^(0.1) + k3
k1 + k3 = 0
??? someone help? ive been looking for answers online. in forums. ive been looking for places to study how to solve this. but nothing ive learned or found covers this topic. or helps and I graduated high school already so I dont have a teacher to talk to. Dont go to college until next semester either.
Advertisement

It says he used Mathematica to solve the system. I'm not sure if there's an easy step-by-step method to solve that kind of problem, you can try replacing things but maybe you end up with weird things that aren't easily solved on paper. I guess Mathematica solve it doing aproximations and multiple iterations, I don't think that's important or the writer would have gone through all the steps.

Anyway, solving that on paper won't give you any real knowledge about game programming or programming in general, it's just a math problem.

The writer of this text does not appear to understand what irrational numbers are... as according to him 1/3 is irrational since you cannot exactly represent it using finite decimal numbers.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This is called an exponential fit. The easiest way to do an exponential fit is to transform your problem into a linear problem.

Take the logarithm of your target equation and do a least squares linear fit wrt the resulting equations.

All mathematical toolboxes I know of have built in support for such fits.

It says he used Mathematica to solve the system. I'm not sure if there's an easy step-by-step method to solve that kind of problem, you can try replacing things but maybe you end up with weird things that aren't easily solved on paper. I guess Mathematica solve it doing aproximations and multiple iterations, I don't think that's important or the writer would have gone through all the steps.

Anyway, solving that on paper won't give you any real knowledge about game programming or programming in general, it's just a math problem.

Okay I understand now. Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement