Lines of code language comparisons

Started by
37 comments, last by AzureBlaze 9 years, 6 months ago
Keep in mind that modern C++ and the C++ most game development books and articles are written in are quite different. The number of lines of code needed to do simple things is much lower and general programmer productivity is much higher when you fully embrace modern C++ idioms.

Sadly, even on this site we still have new featured articles showing up that are written with C++98 (and not even necessarily _good_ C++98).

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Advertisement

I'd say it has more to do with how you choose to go along with your project. Libraries used matter.

Not all languages are popular for developing games (which doesn't means that some languages are inherently better for games than others!), thus with such languages its more likely that you'll find the right library that will solve your problems with certain game specific system (whether that is physics, rendering, sound, AI, resource management, networking, etc).

If you grabbed C/C++, yeah, you could argue that writing resource management code won't be that simple, and maybe you'll trip over some catch here and there, but you'd be hard pressed not to find good game development libraries or entire engines for them, that can cut down the development time a lot.

(NOTE: I'd still wouldn't use it, but for people that don't mind it, C/C++ popularity as game making languages is a big plus).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Both have the exact same writing speed, and the only difference is the language that they're writing in and perhaps the estimated amount of writing errors. Whatever IDE they're using, its strengths and weaknesses is ignored for now (because it depends on what IDEs you're using).

Who completes Braid first?

Lines of code per hour is in no way a useful number.

I've never been constrained in my time to complete a task by my typing speed!

There's many languages that use less lines of code (or characters) than your average bit of C code... but they also possibly require more thought per line...

Yes, different languages will be more/less productive in different situations, but simply comparing LOC counts misses all the important nuance of a true comparison.

At my last console development job, we used both Lua and C++.

Lua was used because for high level gameplay code, it seems to be more productive -- i.e. less careful thought is required (and yes: less lines of code) to implement a task.

However, this isn't always true; For some more complex systems, it can actually be more productive (i.e. you get the task done faster) when using C++...

Then there's parts of the game where Lua just isn't a valid choice, so C++ would win by default...

Also interestingly, when refactoring code late in the project, it was much easier to refactor the C++ systems due to the strong typing and the fact that C++ IDE's are very smart/useful. Refactoring the Lua code was extremely time consuming, and a lot of bugs were accidentally introduced in the processes, which wasted more time QA'ing, reproducing and fixing!

There have been studies correlating LOC to bug count; TLDR is that fewer lines usually means fewer bugs. This does hit diminishing returns pretty fast, though, as you quickly reach levels of obfuscation (cough, APL) that actually make it harder to code rather than more efficient from a human standpoint.

I imagine the real reason for this is actually fewer operations, not fewer lines (it's just that the latter tends to be a side-effect of the former). It's definitely harder to screw up with less operations, at least until you start skipping stuff you should be doing =P

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

I think you are also misunderstanding hoe the software development lifecycle works. You don't just bash out code from A to Z and everything you type makes it into the game. You have to refactor. You have to optimize. It may be that one language requires less lines of code to do a task but at the same time if there is a bug it could be very tricky to locate it. Or that one language has infinatly more options available. There is also the issue that there is literaly tons of good game programming resources available that are written in C or C++.

For me a productive day usually means that I remove lines of code from a project and not add them.

Dude you don't have ANY limit on how many lines you can write.

Game developers usually want to eventually release their games, and not stay in development forever. Writing 100k lines of code takes time.

I've never heard or read anyone saying "I'll write x number of lines at most, I need to finish my game this year" as a real requirement, only in some competitions and just for fun or curiosity ("Let's write Pong in as few lines as possible! You can do any weird and unreadble stuff you need!").

Also, if you end up with 100k lines of code, you probably wrote from 150k to 200k lines during the whole project, you'll never write anything in the exact way you need it so you end up throwing or modifiying whole pieces of code, and that's one of the main problems of using LOC to measure anything. Also, you won't spend time ONLY coding, your game needs art, texts, testing (not the test a developer does, a real stress test), etc, etc, etc. Maybe you've finished all the code, but the game is not finished because you need more levels.

Every language/API/Framework/Engine shows in some degree how fast it is to use it ("this is how you write a "hello world!" app with C, but with Z you just need this line!"), but it's always a very trivial and specific block of code, becuase that's the only way you can compare both.

I've never heard or read anyone saying "I'll write x number of lines at most, I need to finish my game this year" as a real requirement, only in some competitions and just for fun or curiosity ("Let's write Pong in as few lines as possible! You can do any weird and unreadble stuff you need!").

Oh boy... rolleyes.gif

I'm not talking about a competition, I'm talking about how one can make the game development industry more efficient in general, by getting a more extensive understanding of what it takes to do things with less time and effort - whether you write 100k lines of code or 5 billion, and whether you spend 1 year or 5 years. Braid was the example that I provided because I know some data about what it took to make it - about 2 years, 90k lines of code and someone like John Blow's level of efficiency. So now, as a small example exercise that illustrates my point, let's "write it again in a different language", or perhaps a combo of languages. Would there be some way to write Braid faster or, if someone want to write a similar game in the future, are there some languages to avoid because you're going to end up wasting time that you could've otherwise spent fleshing out the game? I don't expect a clear answer from anyone, I'm just wondering if there is one.

In science, you generally want to isolate all factors (to get their relevant effects confirmed or refuted) before you add them together for the big picture. So in order to see how relevant the number of codelines are, one obviously need to isolate that in a proper environment. My Braid example was such an environment.

The point is that you don't have an infinite amount of time at your disposal if you want to actually release a game in this century. The point is that different languages finish similar/identical projects in different amounts of time, depending on the syntax and also, as some mentioned in this thread, how one programmer is better at that specific language compared to the other (because that's the language he's been using for the last two decades).

Because it it's a big deal if you could substantially cut production costs by choosing the right language for the job. Perhaps not for Pong, but then again most professional game developers aren't writing Pong, are they. And I'm sure you're not implying that Destiny, Farcry 4 or Dying Light are Pong-clones.

You don't just bash out code from A to Z and everything you type makes it into the game. You have to refactor. You have to optimize.

Yes, and different languages have different syntaxes, different OO structuring and different amounts of built-in functions that you don't have to write from scratch. So it's logical to assume that the time you spend refactoring and optimizing varies from language to language, yes? And based on that information, the language you choose for yourself can mean the difference between less or more time spent producing the exact same functional result. Not to mention your own skill level with that given language. A faster language could be slower, if you're uncomfortable with it and thus write it much slower than usual.

Lines of code per hour is in no way a useful number.

I've never been constrained in my time to complete a task by my typing speed!

That may definitely be true, but time is still spent writing the code, and the less time you potentially spend writing that exact same functionality, the more time you got writing the rest of the program, right?

There's many languages that use less lines of code (or characters) than your average bit of C code... but they also possibly require more thought per line...

But is this universally true? Does [lines of code] * [thought per line] always equal the same, roughly speaking of course? Or are some languages superior to others when taking both of those factors into account?

Yes, different languages will be more/less productive in different situations, but simply comparing LOC counts misses all the important nuance of a true comparison.

I'm looking for the comparisons themselves across all relevant factors (of which LOC is just one). I'm seeing people compare languages all the time, but it's always that one or two factors that those people give personal value and not all relevant factors in unison, as a neutral, scientific study.

At my last console development job, we used both Lua and C++.

Lua was used because for high level gameplay code, it seems to be more productive -- i.e. less careful thought is required (and yes: less lines of code) to implement a task.

However, this isn't always true; For some more complex systems, it can actually be more productive (i.e. you get the task done faster) when using C++...

Then there's parts of the game where Lua just isn't a valid choice, so C++ would win by default...

Were you able to isolate what those complex systems were specifically, in which C++ was more productive? I've heard about how Lua and C++ is being combined in other games and it sounds like a good example of what I'm looking for. So, using the Lua/C++ combo as a template, it would be nice if there existed some larger documentation about what is advisable to write in Lua compared to C++. There's bound to be some ambiguity and personal taste in that, but I can't imagine there not being at least some universalities.

Also interestingly, when refactoring code late in the project, it was much easier to refactor the C++ systems due to the strong typing and the fact that C++ IDE's are very smart/useful. Refactoring the Lua code was extremely time consuming, and a lot of bugs were accidentally introduced in the processes, which wasted more time QA'ing, reproducing and fixing!

So the way I see it, identifying a given programmers common refactorings could be a way to tweak someone's choice of language for a given task. At least as a way to play around with his efficiency if he uses Lua instead of C++ or vice versa (whenever it actually makes sense, of course, and the "more time refactoring" isn't just negligible compared to other, more pressing concerns).

Have you even worked in the game industry? You have some extremely naive ideas about what the inefficiencies are.

Let me spell it out for you: having programmers typing lines of code is easily one of the cheapest things a game studio can do. It's the rest of programming - and game creation - that is expensive. It's also what makes programming (and game dev in general) a marketable skill instead of unskilled labor.

That's most of Hodgman's point about thought time. The expensive part is the time it takes to know what to type. That time dominates the typing by so much it isn't even worth considering the typing as a real cost.

I will also reiterate my earlier point which you've continued to miss: the only meaningful comparison you can make is to yourself. Comparing across programmers is like comparing drag race speeds between cars and spoons. It doesn't make any sense.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement