Designing a good feel ARPG melee combat system

Started by
12 comments, last by wodinoneeye 9 years, 6 months ago

Before you read this, you should try out what I have currently. Download the full game (made with Blender Game Engine) here, then open levels/level2.blend in Blender and press P over the 3D view (actual release will be a lot simpler).

I've been working on the melee combat system. It's a real time ARPG-style system like Skyrim (obviously with drastically less polish). Most of the code is done, but I cannot seem to get the feel right. By game feel, I'm talking things like Game Feel and this talk (fantastic, by the way). There is very little material available that talks about good feel for combat systems like this. If only a Skyrim dev would let some of their feel secrets be known!

Currently, the combat feels very floaty. The knockback was something I've thought about a lot, but knockback in combat systems varies quite a bit. It's currently a little too exaggerated.

It would help me out a lot if you would try out my game and tell me what you think. I've considered adding screen shake, a slight 10ms pause when you hit the enemy or get hit, improving enemy animations by having drawbacks (don't know what to call those - what I mean is things like raising the sword before slashing/hints that a hit is going to come soon), and sound (actually adds a lot to feel).

If I can get the combat system feeling solid, I think the game will be drastically more engaging and fun. Like the Halo devs say, get ~30 seconds of fun and repeat that over and over again in slightly different ways.

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

Advertisement
If you need a 'good feel' combat system, don't even look at any TES games, look at 'Souls games (as in Dark Souls, etc.) instead. In my experience those have the best combat system any action game has ever presented me with. And I'm saying this as a big fan of Bethesda's games!

If you need a 'good feel' combat system, don't even look at any TES games, look at 'Souls games (as in Dark Souls, etc.) instead. In my experience those have the best combat system any action game has ever presented me with. And I'm saying this as a big fan of Bethesda's games!

They have their own system, but I feel neither of these are good examples of a "good feel" if you're going for the action part.

Dark Souls has a very "heavy" approach to movement/knockback/collision handling whereas TES games are altogether slow and jittery. Ninja Gaiden Sigma was aprobably a lot better, but much less on the RPG side. The Witcher III also seems to have better responsiveness for movement. Finally, some 3D Zelda titles might be worth looking into.

May I request that you make/post a video of your gameplay?

I'd love to offer you feedback, but I am reluctant to download/install any programs (and I know I speak for many here when I say that).

Templar and Orymus3 are right about your reference games; they aren't famous for their combat. Try to emulate games with more exaggerated combat with a great tactile feeling.

3d Zelda games are good for this, since the action has a great cartoony exaggeration to it. Mini ninjas is another one that comes to mind, all of the popping the exploding; they really did it right. Also look at fighting games for some sense of oomph.

If you use more exaggerated references, even if you miss the mark you may end up with something that has a good feel to it.

I agree, we should have a video smile.png

have you tried some of the medieval swordfighting games out there? it's kind of a genre of its own and offers much more depth than Skyrim (which I love as a game overall, but the combat is shallow and dull). I'm talking about games like Mount&Blade, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare or War of the Roses.

Unlike Skyrim these offer freedom to choose different attack directions (either by mouse movement or by different buttons), and unlike the 'Souls games they rely on focusing the camera view on the enemy and aiming (first-person WASD movement and mouselook) and having more realistic limitations for movement (no rolling around)

I myself am making a game of this swordfighting genre. here's a [ link ] to a 6 months old video, despite it lacks quite some new features and better combat flow it does give a good sense of what it is like. I'm not meaning to advertise, it's just that if you're interested I could invite you to my testers group so you can try it for yourself (on the condition that feedback is provided smile.png )

Chosker - Developer of Elium - Prison Escape

I'm definitely going for the less complex Zelda-style combat. Even Minecraft's ultra simplistic style works, but it still needs to be fun and feel nice. Currently I do not think it feels solid enough.

Those on right now should go to my Twitch stream and ask questions via the chat. I can show you the combat and you can ask me to try stuff.

I will also highlight the session and post the video here afterwards. I'm sure you guys might be interested in iterations on a system like this - show the design process nicely

And I use Ubuntu, so I'm not used to people worrying about downloading something that might mess with their machine smile.png

UPDATE: The recording of above broadcast. At 21:30 and 23:10 I show combat as it was (the latter having more weapons), and at 1:13:20 I add camera shake. At 52:40 I add a 20ms pause when hitting enemies, then adjust it to 30ms (which was on during the camera shake).

Sorry for the choppy stream

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

I'm talking about games like Mount&Blade, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare or War of the Roses.

Unlike Skyrim these offer freedom to choose different attack directions (either by mouse movement or by different buttons), and unlike the 'Souls games they rely on focusing the camera view on the enemy and aiming (first-person WASD movement and mouselook) and having more realistic limitations for movement (no rolling around)

Great references those! +1

The danger, of course, with such freedom can be disorientation. You have to be careful with camera, and making the controls manageable.

I myself am making a game of this swordfighting genre. here's a [ link ] to a 6 months old video, despite it lacks quite some new features and better combat flow it does give a good sense of what it is like. I'm not meaning to advertise, it's just that if you're interested I could invite you to my testers group so you can try it for yourself (on the condition that feedback is provided smile.png )

It looks awesome. Is that an open invitation? biggrin.png Is there somewhere I can read more about your project? I didn't see much on the site.

I'm definitely going for the less complex Zelda-style combat. Even Minecraft's ultra simplistic style works, but it still needs to be fun and feel nice. Currently I do not think it feels solid enough.

Some of us also not on broadband wink.png The stream is an hour and a half long and high resolution (can I change the resolution on that site?), I can't really find the combat.

Any chance you can cut just a few minutes of what you'd like to show and put it on youtube or somewhere like that?

First of all, I'm no expert in this, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

That said, having taken a quick look at the points in the video that you indicated, I have some thoughts:

• The "attack" animation doesn't really look like an attack; a simple change that might work with your current animation would be to have the weapon extend forward as it swings down, giving the impression of a thrust.
  • While you do have a flinch animation, it might help to make it more exaggerated, and more connected to what's happening to the character. For example, if you're going to keep the knock-back effect, it might be worth taking that into account, whether by depicting them staggering back or an anime-style backwards skid. (It also looks a little slow to my eye.)
  • Consider having the sword animation stop short on a hit, to give the impression of the weapon fetching up against--or burying itself into--the target.

I myself am making a game of this swordfighting genre. here's a [ link ] to a 6 months old video ...

That looks rather cool! If I may ask, how does the player control attacks in your game? I'm doing something similar myself, and am curious about your approach. (The download in the first post is old; the latest posted here should be in my last post in that thread (at time of writing).)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I checked the stream (StarMire: just forward to 21:30). I agree with the comments from Thaumaturge

also I see a complete lack of sense of physics and biomechanics. you can spam the attack and get maybe 3 attacks in one second. there's no cooldown, no inertia, no penalty for missing an attack, no way for the enemies to block your attacks, or any other interesting factors beside attacking. the fact that the enemies run towards you like zombies doesn't help either

for some games having a sword attack is enough to call it a 'melee fighting system'. it usually boils down to something like "I was hit 8 times but I hit the enemy 15 times, so I won". Skyrim goes just a little bit beyond this (with blocking, stamina and staggers) but the "I can pause to drink potions" feature ruins all of this (plus aiming and body movement / distance is meaningless)

personally I have to say that a sword attack is only the beginning, and the real fun starts when attacks can be blocked causing a flow of back-and-forth attack attempts and blocks, making all combat decisions much more meaningful.

StarMire, on 08 Oct 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Great references those! +1

The danger, of course, with such freedom can be disorientation. You have to be careful with camera, and making the controls manageable.

indeed, but at this point I'm assuming the audience target (within the RPG world) is more the people familiar with FPS's rather than jRPG's - and from makuto's video I think it's safe to say he's aiming for something like this too

---

StarMire, on 08 Oct 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Chosker, on 07 Oct 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

It looks awesome. Is that an open invitation? biggrin.png Is there somewhere I can read more about your project? I didn't see much on the site.

it's not an open invitation, but we could arrange it smile.png

also yes my website is just placeholder but [my blog] has much more info about it.

Thaumaturge, on 08 Oct 2014 - 5:19 PM, said:

That looks rather cool! If I may ask, how does the player control attacks in your game? I'm doing something similar myself, and am curious about your approach. (The download in the first post is old; the latest posted here should be in my last post in that thread (at time of writing).)

I know you're doing something similar, I was the first guy to reply to your thread biggrin.png

in my game the player controls how to attack like in Mount&Blade - you move your mouse up, down, left or right, and then click with the mouse.

I also added an optional alternative where instead the player needs to click and hold the mouse button, then move the mouse up/down/left/right, and then let go of the mouse button. my testers' opinions are divided between the two methods

on top of that there's some buttons that don't need mouse movement, like blocking or kicking, which are just regular keypresses.

Chosker - Developer of Elium - Prison Escape

Building on what Chosker says, an idea:

As Chosker suggests, allow the player to block incoming attacks if the block is performed with the appropriate timing. Give the block an animation as you have with attacking, and make both the attack and block animations fairly long--say about 0.6 seconds each. In addition, only allow a block or attack if neither the block nor the attack animation is playing. However, when an attack lands or a block is correctly-timed, end the animation prematurely. (When the player's attack is blocked, similarly end the animation prematurely, but impose a brief pause--say 0.1 seconds.)

Thus well-timed attacks and blocks make it easier to keep attacking, while poorly-timed blocks and missed attacks leave the player at a disadvantage. If you want to add an additional danger to the player, perhaps allow enemies to counter-attack more quickly when the player mis-times a block.

I know you're doing something similar, I was the first guy to reply to your thread biggrin.png

Ah, I feel silly for having missed that! ^^;

in my game the player controls ...

Ah, I see--thank you; those controls make sense. ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement